GSalden

Using the lower half of a 4K display in fullscreen ?

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

With a 65” display as front screen in my 737 real size cockpit the upper half of the display cannot be seen.

Is there a way to use only the lower half of the screen for Fs in Fullscreen without everything being flat ?

This will save fps...

Thanks,

Gerard

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Is there a way to use only the lower half of the screen for Fs in Fullscreen without everything being flat ?

Try going into Windowed mode (ALT+ENTER), then moving and sizing it as you want, then change back using ALT+ENTER' Just do not maximise, of course,

I think this will work because P3D's "full screen" mode is just a normal window with the borders and title bar removed.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the info Pete.

I am on my way now to the Media Market.

As I now have 2x 32” as front view imho the only advantage I will have with a 65” display is not having any monitor bezels.

With 2x 43” 4K displays the bezels almost disappear behind the center window bar. And there will be extra width.

Another option : I am also able to buy a 75” 4K display which will be wider than I have now too and no bezels. Drawback : the enormeous size.  Advantage : less pixels than 2x 43”, so less taxing on the gpu.

For my left front view a 50-55” then will be enough.

I am wondering what would be the wisest option ....

 

Edited by GSalden

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, GSalden said:

I am wondering what would be the wisest option ....

I experimented with two screens (this is before 4K days), but I just didn't like the black bar in the middle. It covers the runway centre line which I hated, and just got annoying in the middle (though I suppose if is it covering it you know you are properly centred).

For my Formula 1 racing setup (still here though unused for years through lack of time) I have three smaller displays, so the centre is clear of bezels. If I went for monitors/TVs instead of the 210 FOV curved screen and three projectors I have now I would certainly have tried to find a way of accommodating three screens. But that would have been difficult. To have the height extensive enough to fill the view out of the cockpit I would have needed 3 x 55" screens minimum (65" better). And then the width would have been too much. I would have had to arrange them vertically I think.

Good luck with your experimenting. 

Pete

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

In the store now I am comparing 

2  43” Sony Bravia KD43XF7077SAEP 4K tv’s to 1  75” Samsung UE75NU7100 4K tv.

2x Sony is Sharper ( more pixels ) and 1x Samsung is less taxing the GPU ( less pixels )

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I experimented with two screens (this is before 4K days), but I just didn't like the black bar in the middle. It covers the runway centre line which I hated, and just got annoying in the middle (though I suppose if is it covering it you know you are properly centred).

For my Formula 1 racing setup (still here though unused for years through lack of time) I have three smaller displays, so the centre is clear of bezels. If I went for monitors/TVs instead of the 210 FOV curved screen and three projectors I have now I would certainly have tried to find a way of accommodating three screens. But that would have been difficult. To have the height extensive enough to fill the view out of the cockpit I would have needed 3 x 55" screens minimum (65" better). And then the width would have been too much. I would have had to arrange them vertically I think.

Good luck with your experimenting. 

Pete

 

 

Same experience here.  Today I use a 55 inch $k (too large in my opinion, 40" to 43" seems much better) along with three 1920x1080 monitors for all the various flight sim software (EFB, Navigraph, VATSPY, Stream, Steam Monitoring, VATSIM Pilot Client, Web Browser if needed, etc.) and the flight sim is on the 55 inch by itself. 

I used to use the three monitors for just the flight sim, but disliked the bar between the monitors as Pete said... plus that reversed Fisheye effect was a nuisance.

YBnpmfD.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post

Because my cockpit is 2/3 ( without f.o. ) the eyepoint is set to the captains FOV.

Therefore the runway centerline is always left from where the bezels touch eachother.

And with 2x 43” the bezels appear for most part behind the hardware window center bar.

Share this post


Link to post

Finally I have bought the 2x 43” and 1x 55” Sony Bravia 4K tv’s.

By far the most clear and sharp image with the best colors.

The new front view will be almost 90” wide , so a more realistic width of the Fs world...  The 55” display will replace the 40” one for the left-left front view.

They are ordered and will be delivered in 2.5 weeks..

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions 👍

Edited by GSalden

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Finally I have bought the 2x 43” and 1x 55” Sony Bravia 4K tv’s.

By far the most clear and sharp image with the best colors.

The new front view will be almost 90” wide , so a more realistic width of the Fs world...  The 55” display will replace the 40” one for the left-left front view.

They are ordered and will be delivered in 2.5 weeks..

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions 👍

You will love the Sony I just got the 43" 4k one (cost almost twice as much as the Samsung but as you say the best color). I'm interested to see how 3 4K displays work as I want to go that route.  I assume you have a 2080ti as my 1080ti cant do it.  Josh

 

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Josh,

I have read that one 2080Ti can drive two 4K displays, but three is too much. That was with 3 different views.

Here I will be setting up the two 43” displays in Surround Mode which will be less taxing the GPU.

If needed I might have to buy a 2080 for driving the left 55” display.

Or I will be using HD resolution on the two 43” displays for now. One 75” 4K display has the same amount of horizontal pixels...

And in the future faster graphics cards will be released...

regards, Gerard

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now