Sign in to follow this  
Guest drdaru1

Position and hold (line up and wait for you other guys)

Guest drdaru1

For those that have tried FSX and aren't under an NDA... does the ATC system now have you position and hold after landing traffic, or do we still have to wait for a/c to clear off the runway? Also, does it position and hold you or even clear you for departure when an a/c is within 6nm now? If you listen to ATC in real life, there are a/c that get cleared for takeoff when traffic is as close as 3nm out. It would help a lot with getting more traffic to flow.

I'm not sure why you haven't gotten that in FS9, because I certainly have! :9

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest drdaru1

>I'm not sure why you haven't gotten that in FS9, because I>certainly have! :9 The ATC system tells you to position and hold even if there's an a/c on the runway that just landed (and not vacated yet)?Plus how did you get the system to let you position and hold even after an a/c on final has gotten "cleared to land" inside the magic 6nm range?

Guest abaragones

>>I'm not sure why you haven't gotten that in FS9, because I>>certainly have! :9 >>The ATC system tells you to position and hold even if there's>an a/c on the runway that just landed (and not vacated yet)?>Plus how did you get the system to let you position and hold>even after an a/c on final has gotten "cleared to land" inside>the magic 6nm range?I want to know that too please!

Guest garwig2

>Last time I flew in flight sim I was definitely getting the>position and hold..Are you sure this was after an AI aircraft just *landed*, and not after one began its *takeoff* roll??

Yes, I would like to know too...I have to wait for the aircraft to land and vacate the runway...then Its always clear of take off...I only get position and hold when an aircraft departs in front of me.Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

At this point it might actually be unrealistic for ATC to authorize a "taxi into position and hold" because the last I heard they were more or less doing away with this instruction due to safety concerns. I'm not positive whether it is a complete ban, but from the article I remember reading no ATC facility was authorized to use this instruction without petitioning to the FAA for approval. Again, this is just what I remember reading, and I rarely fly out of airports that use position and hold anyway, so I haven't heard the instruction for a while now...

Guest drdaru1

So this applies to the 'position and hold' as well? I still hear it everyday in Houston. I know that the FAA had special rules on LAHSO (land and hold short ops) but I must have missed the advisory... It still would be nice if it was implemented in the 'world' concept, I'm sure they still use line up and wait in Europe don't they?That being said, the other part of my message is still valid. I want to be cleared for t/o even if another a/c is on shorter final than 6nm.

Guest tdragger

I don't believe any of the hold short code was changed for FSX.

Guest drdaru1

Any different handling of crossing runways? Will we have to overlap and do the 'star' method again?

Guest Joker328

I don't understand why so many obvious flaws that would seem so simple to fix were overlooked for this release. What have you been doing for the past three years? You have time to make elephants roam the plains of Africa, but you can't make aircraft behave correctly at an airport. I think perhaps the developers need to get their priorities in order. This is a flight simulator after all.

You can't make a picture of better ATC.

Guest drdaru1

Well, we all have to realize that they are making this release more a game and not specifically for us... Don't get me wrong, atc was the make or break deal for me, regardless of visuals, which i didn't mind much with fs2k4. I was the one who a couple of months ago lashed out that ATC is a simple if/then system, and expressed my expectation that it would be fixed. Oh well, something about the best laid plans of mice and men...All I really wanted to know from the topic was how the atc was... we have our answer on holding short ops. But no answer on other things. I'll ask my original question in another way:What has been changed or *gasp* improved with the atc as it relates to real life simulation in FSX?