Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Confusion over integration of procedures

As a returnee to the B74x after a time away, I am finding difficulty in understanding how the EFB and standard cockpit procedures should interrelate.

Presumably when UGCX is released, we will add another layer of procedures to these.

Can you ensure that there is some documentation at release that defines when each of these procedures should be performed?

Many thanks.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

48 minutes ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

As a returnee to the B74x after a time away, I am finding difficulty in understanding how the EFB and standard cockpit procedures should interrelate.

Presumably when UGCX is released, we will add another layer of procedures to these.

Can you ensure that there is some documentation at release that defines when each of these procedures should be performed?

Many thanks.

I am not sure I follow. The EFB can be used any time from the moment you have the final weights to calculate your performance figures. Since in the sim the wights you have in your FP will not chnage from the moment Departure and Arrivals airports are inserted EFB can be used, if you want the fields to be read from FMC. If not you can use it from the moment you load the plane.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

3 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

I would strongly encourage viewing it as a tool rather than a burden. Too often, people look at aviation as simply formulaic, and stilted by procedure after procedure.

It's an extra tool. Use it when you feel like it. Don't when you don't. There have been entire flights where I've simply ignored it. Some flights, I use it quite a lot. There's no prescribed procedure to it.

Need to look at a chart? Look at the chart.

Want to run some takeoff calculations? Run some takeoff calculations.

When do you do either of those? When you determine that you need to.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle. I do understand your point.

I was after linking each of the items together into a compact logical sequence of maximum utilisation for when it is appropriate.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Thanks Kyle. I do understand your point.

I was after linking each of the items together into a compact logical sequence of maximum utilisation for when it is appropriate.

I have to agree with Kyle. It’s really just a tool, and you use it when you need to. Where I work we really don’t use the integrated EFB’s in the 747-8 as we have an iPad for charts and ACARS does the performance, but even with these tools we utilize them when we need to. It’s not a part of any flow or procedure necessarily. When we have obtained a weight and balance, and have everything else needed to perform a takeoff calculation, then we will perform that action. When we need to reference a chart, we get on the iPad and pull up the chart... but utilizing things like ACARS or an EFB are not as procedural as say, running a flow or a checklist. 

Edited by Jetlinker