Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

Moving FSX-SE?

Hi: Several months ago, I mistakenly installed Steam FSX-SE to my "C" drive...Operating system is installed there...Now, as you can imagine, the drive is filling up, almost full...Is there any easy (?) way to move FSX-SE to another drive without uninstalling? ...Thanks for any ideas...

Steve in Kansas (KGCK)

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Hey Steve,

There are programs that can do this for you, however an FSX installation is pretty widespread and I don't personally know anyone who has done this.  But it is possible, and I don't see any harm in trying so long as you're aware that it might lead to an uninstall and reinstall to the new location if things go awry.

I did a Google Search for "How to move program to different drive" and came up with several excellent articles and associated software to help accomplish this task.  I'm not sure if you'll see the same results as I found (see link below) as search engine results are affected by one's location, but i think in this case you'll see the same or highly similar results as I received.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=How+to+move+program+to+different+drive

Would you please let us know which process you used and how you made out?  I'm sure it will prove helpful to many others.

By the way... I don't know your system specs, but if possible then this may be an excellent time to move over to P3DV4.

My very best wishes for a successful result!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Wouldn't a W10 hard link solve this issue the easiest? I had a rapidly expanding Orbx directory on my C drive and it took 2 clicks to tell windows I'd moved it. One to select the new location and one to drop the link in the old location. I know this was just a data directory but surely principle is the same for an app directory? 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

13 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

.Is there any easy (?) way to move FSX-SE to another drive without uninstalling?

Physically it's easy to move FSX Steam.  There is a feature in the Steam interface which allows you to move your Steam library to a different drive.  It is not selective in that it will move all of your  Steam games including FSX SE.

The problem is that the links in the various cfg and FSX addon files may  or may not get updated and you'll run into a number of errors while attempting to run FSX.  

Ernest Pergrem