Sign in to follow this  
jcmissionary

Overcast

As question really for the FS developers. Are we ever going to be able to fly on top of an overcast layer and actually see it in a Microsoft Fligfht Simulator product?Everytime I climb up through the overcast layer, it's not long before it promptly vanishes, replaced with puffy clouds and a clear view of the ground.Are we ever going to be able to fly like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153602.jpgAlso, is it just me, or does the whole sunrise/sunset period seem to go too quickly. As soon as the sun comes up, there seems to be no distinction between early morning and mid-day. Sunset doesn't seem to be too bad.

Guest skruer

There should be some adjustment to layers in FSX with DX9. There will be significant improvement with DX10, so something to look forward to ;)

Guest JuiceRabbit

Agreeg it sure would be nice! I like the way the clouds cast shadows onto the other clouds.Maybe DX10?

Guest unitedpilot36

I think we will all be very pleased with DX10.:-)

Must say I'm a bit sceptic aboout all this DX10 talk. No doubt it will upgrade the visuals, but is DX10 really going to upgrade the clouds that much so I can see full blanket overcast below me when I'm flying at 30,000ft? It seems the problem is more to do with the way FS renders overcast when flying on top of it, than what version of DX you're running.

>Must say I'm a bit sceptic aboout all this DX10 talk. No>doubt it will upgrade the visuals, but is DX10 really going to>upgrade the clouds that much so I can see full blanket>overcast below me when I'm flying at 30,000ft? >>It seems the problem is more to do with the way FS renders>overcast when flying on top of it, than what version of DX>you're running.>>From what I've read, instead of incrementally improving the same API, they sort of did a "start from scratch" with a completely knew mentality to approaching the rendering pipeline, that means that a DX10 card can do four times the work as a DX9 card on the same "level" of hardware.Of course, it's early morning for me, and I might have my figures muddled, but I think that's what I read.

Its a British Airways Airbus. The pic wasn't taken by me - it's a screenshot of an episode of Top Gear (a UK TV programme about cars)

>Must say I'm a bit sceptic aboout all this DX10 talk. No>doubt it will upgrade the visuals, but is DX10 really going to>upgrade the clouds that much so I can see full blanket>overcast below me when I'm flying at 30,000ft? >>It seems the problem is more to do with the way FS renders>overcast when flying on top of it, than what version of DX>you're running.>>exactly. What's DX10 got to do with how the FS weather engine renders an overcast layer? Can someone explain that? And who exactly has said that DX10 is going to correct the overcast problem? Is there any evidence of anyone from MS saying this?

I don't believe anyone has said that DX10 will correct it, or that the new version of the game will do the overcast layer any differently. I think there is just hope that with a new way to render weather in DX10 (the "artist rendered" shot does show a marked improvement) that this layer will be handled better.Then again, I am an eternal optimist.

DirectX 10 will allow much more convincing use of volumetric clouds than those currently seen in lomac. The problem with lomac is the clouds generally don't look as convincing as current FS clouds when viewed from a distance and are fairly sparse. The great thing about them is the way you really can fly inside them and also the excellent 'silver lining' when viewed against the sun as well as cloud shadows, also lightning illuminates the clouds as you would expect.Volumetric overcast really is overcast as seen in this shot:http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Physique/l...c-overcast2.jpg

Bernard

Guest drdaru1

That is an unbelievable shot. Kudos