Sign in to follow this  
olderndirt

Another Spitfire.

Yeah this thing is really good; tried a few other warbirds in X and wasn't too impressed - this has a 3d model and textures as good as anything, flies very nice and has decent systems depth.

Wow!

You guys owning it, please just tell me:

.) Does it pitch down on flap deployment ?

.) Does it show neutral pitch stability in flight configuration ( clean ) ?

.) How does it behave on takeoff - trickY ? What about takeoffs ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

3 hours ago, jcomm said:

Wow!

You guys owning it, please just tell me:

.) Does it pitch down on flap deployment ?

.) Does it show neutral pitch stability in flight configuration ( clean ) ?

.) How does it behave on takeoff - trickY ? What about takeoffs ?

Buy it.

Yes pitch down on flaps deployment

Neutral pitch stability 

Go buy it 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

3 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Buy it.

Yes pitch down on flaps deployment

Neutral pitch stability 

Go buy it 

😉

Actually, from watching this movie, looks just like - just yet another nice - Spitfire... but that's about all:

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

😉Actually, from watching this movie, looks just like - just yet another nice - Spitfire... but that's about all:

Interesting to note that one can know how good or bad are the flight characteristics just by watching a video.

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Interesting to note that one can know how good or bad are the flight characteristics just by watching a video.

Years of experience 🙂

Anyway, just regarding the flaps down deployment - the guy who did the video clearly states - "balloning" - and we do observe the pitching up ( marked ) with deployment...

Other than that, of course there's a lot more to it that I couldn't tell by just looking at that video...

and... it does look like a really nice model, at least graphically...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

38 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Years of experience 🙂

Anyway, just regarding the flaps down deployment - the guy who did the video clearly states - "balloning" - and we do observe the pitching up ( marked ) with deployment...

Other than that, of course there's a lot more to it that I couldn't tell by just looking at that video...

and... it does look like a really nice model, at least graphically...

probably can be edited

FYI - the RAF handbook for the MarkIX (Link provided with download) specifies the following recommended trim settings:

UNDERCARRIAGE UP  -  Nose UP

UNDERCARRIAGE DOWN  -  Nose DOWN

FLAPS UP  -  Nose UP

FLAPS DOWN  -  Strongly nose DOWN 

• Upvote 1

Precisely!

It should pitch down, while it markedly pitches up ...

Main Simulation Rig:

46 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Precisely!

are you buying it ? then you edit the .acf

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

are you buying it ? then you edit the .acf

It's probably not that easy to get right...

From the video I couldn't also tell how pitch stability is modeled. Should be neutral in clean configuration. Editing one aspect can ruin others...

But it does look Gorgeous graphically.

Hey, Murmur, have you got it ?  How does it perform ?  Report Man ! Report !!!  :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

14 hours ago, olderndirt said:

FYI - the RAF handbook for the MarkIX (Link provided with download) specifies the following recommended trim settings:

UNDERCARRIAGE UP  -  Nose UP

UNDERCARRIAGE DOWN  -  Nose DOWN

FLAPS UP  -  Nose UP

FLAPS DOWN  -  Strongly nose DOWN 

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

Precisely!

It's exhibiting the correct pitch change with flap movement - strong pitch up when flaps moved to down; the RAF handbook above specifies 'Strongly nose DOWN'   trim... which is exactly what's required to counteract the pitch up moment and center of pressure change associated with moving the flaps down.

I tested this several times at ~120 mph IAS steady state level flight, trimmed up, with the same result.    The undercarriage however does not seem to have any appreciable drag or pitch moment associated with moving it up or down.... at various points in the 120-160 mph range.

The aircraft seems to have very reasonable takeoff and landing characteristics, but I haven't compared that to any RL reports.    It does handle very well on the ground, for an X-Plane aircraft!

To add; I just checked this against the P3D A2A SpitII - which exhibits a strong nose down pitch with flap extension (I know, very different mark), but similar lack of drag effect with gear change.   The DCS Spit 9 also has a strong nose-down pitch with flap extension. 

The IL2 BOX Spit 9 has a brief, short nose pitch down with flap extension, then it pitches up.

http://www.warbirdalley.com/articles/spitfire-flight-report.htm

If you read the above RL flight test report, apparently a Mk9 or 16 should pitch down with flap extension - so I dont know which is correct, lol.

Edited by Barfly

Sorry jcomm, haven't got it. :-) Still haven't got a new pc yet, waiting for Ryzen 3000 launch sometime in H2 2019

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]