Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

MoBo Advice Please.......Asus ASUS PRIME Intel Z390-P 9th Ge

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I'm a fan of Asus boards, I know some say they have has issues with Asus but i still have no issues with them.

Same here, Martin.

However.... do check out EVGA motherboards, really great motherboards and fantastic EVGA support. 

Heard of their graphics cards but motherboards? Never heard of it although I did see it on Scan's website

Z390 Dark is a great motherboard and does have a PS/2 port. Expensive though.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Edited by vc10man

9 hours ago, vc10man said:

Is it a Z370 or a Z390 board, Bob?

You missed the point I made earlier, where I have had to uninstall the USB controllers, every one of them, to resolve a USB connection problem, and without at PS/w2 keyboard or mouse, to scroll through each USB controller, I'd be floundering relying on an USB input  when my whole aim is to flush out the USB connections to the board.

The Maximus XI Hero is a Z390 board.

No, actually, I didn't miss that...I just don't see any good reason you'd ever have to disconnect or uninstall all of the USB controllers and hubs at the same time--there are several on most modern mobos.  If one controller or hub is misbehaving, uninstalling drivers or devices on a different hub or the hub/controller itself is not going to help.  So there is always the option of moving the keyboard/mouse to a USB port served by a different controller if one of them is having trouble.  Honestly, I'm surprised that the PS/2 port hasn't gone the way of the old serial RS232 port, also in favor of USB.  But...your build, your specs.  Jusat pointing out that it's likely to be a self-limiting choice.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

23 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The Maximus XI Hero is a Z390 board.

No, actually, I didn't miss that...I just don't see any good reason you'd ever have to disconnect or uninstall all of the USB controllers and hubs at the same time--there are several on most modern mobos.  If one controller or hub is misbehaving, uninstalling drivers or devices on a different hub or the hub/controller itself is not going to help.  So there is always the option of moving the keyboard/mouse to a USB port served by a different controller if one of them is having trouble.  Honestly, I'm surprised that the PS/2 port hasn't gone the way of the old serial RS232 port, also in favor of USB.  But...your build, your specs.  Jusat pointing out that it's likely to be a self-limiting choice.

Regards

Bob, that's great news that its a Z390.

Virtually every tech site I have been to, when diagnosing a USB device driver not being able to initiate a USB device in CP, the recommended 'cure' was delete every 'Universal Serial Bus controller' in Device Manager and I have lost count of the number of times I have lost the very USB input device(e.g keyboard) I needed to sift through these controllers. So, it was back to let Windows start all over again and let it rebuild,then back to square one. Which is why I now stipulate, for me at least, it has to have PS/2 ports. Hope I make myself clear.

Not really limiting my choice as ASRock have an excellent Z390 MoBo as does Asus as does EVGA. So, I can have my cake and eat it as the parlance goes.🤣

Edited by vc10man

I understand Ricks want for PS/2.  I've just had my Corsair keyboard replaced for the 3rd time! If I'd listened to what Rick was saying, back when I needed a new mobo, I would definitely have gone for a PS/2 option.

I now have a spanking new keyboard, that (apparently) has nothing wrong with it, yet I'm forced to physically unplug and replug it every time i power off my PC.

1 hour ago, Dougal said:

I understand Ricks want for PS/2.  I've just had my Corsair keyboard replaced for the 3rd time! If I'd listened to what Rick was saying, back when I needed a new mobo, I would definitely have gone for a PS/2 option.

I now have a spanking new keyboard, that (apparently) has nothing wrong with it, yet I'm forced to physically unplug and replug it every time i power off my PC.

Tried this...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-keyboard-and-mouse-not-working-unless-unplug/e41b93b8-427f-4d07-8808-1f5554780a28

I would update the Corsair keyboard software and also update the motherboards USB drivers from the motherboard manufacturers web site. 

I've had several Corsair iCue updates since I had my Corsair keyboard. No issues at all. 

Edited by martin-w

Thanks Martin.  Hope you're ok - long time no chat.

The USB thing is a bizarre issue for sure.  Corsair (eventually) took me through a very similar process to no avail:-(

Does your keyboard work without iCue installed?

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

Does your keyboard work without iCue installed?

Yep, believe so. I recall I installed the software after I plugged in and used the keyboard. Cant recall for sure, but I think it was displaying a random LED multicoloured pattern, as the keyboard has on-board memory. Software required to control the LED colour of course. I assume it was using the generic USB driver initially 

Edited by martin-w