Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

How works VR in P3D V4.4 for you ?

The headset runs at 90FPS and has software to fill in the gaps so will run happily at 45 FPS and not so happily but acceptably at 22.5FPS. 

On a further note. I'm between Sim pits right now, my very adventurous project still in progress.

Having just swapped from CV1 Oculus to Rift-S. I'm very very happy with it. Still setting up and adjusting, but it's far better in seeing instruments and for general image quality already. 

For a re-design with little improvement on paper, more style and other form changes, it really is a lot better.

Still using a crappy Joystick only rather than all my controls so not very good for flying...

Having said that, it's into our busy Summer season now, so I don't get much time for either designing on autocad or flying the sim. I'm spending most waking hours in a 737.

I yearn for some real flying, the 4 hrs trips are pretty boring.....

DCS with Christen Eagle are my latest distraction. Again, with comparison to both Oculus Rifts, the -S is by far my go to headset. The CV1 package will be on Ebay soon....

Edited by MarkJHarris
spelling!

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I've got an Oculus Rift S, mainly for flying with my P3D V4.5x

Sometimes it's quite complicated to fly VR, as the Rift S Software sometimes has problems with the Battery Status of the 2 (hand)controllers, even if you've just placed new batteries. There are at least 20 "false" controllers registred in the Oculus Software...
Then there's the annoying "Define your Workspace", wich pops up sometimes. The Oculus Software wants to know, in wich range you can move your arms or your body.
About 30% of trying to fly is blocked by any Oculus Software issue...

I had about 30 flights in VR now. A2A C128 and Comanche250 only. I did simply use the P3D integrated VR option.
Sometimes it feels very real... Trying to land at (Fly Tampa TNCM) St. Barth one time made my shout out loud, while I was really shocked with this landing...

When I found out how to use the mouse on my desktop to switch buttons in VR, it helped me a lot.

But how can I use my 3 Saitek/Logiteck switch panels now? I can't, as I can't see them on my desk... :-(
So the next step was to find something to switch buttons within the VR: FlyInside is an option.

I still struggle with FlyInside. At this time I unfortunately did not get, what I saw in YouTube Videos. Using simply my hands to switch buttons...
Flyinside likes to set my resolution and several other graphic setting to very low. There's unfortunately no recently updated documentation available.
The Rift S has a better resolution than the former Oculus set, but does FlyInside knbow that?

In general: Yes, flying VR is worth it. I never felt comfortable using Track IR. The Rift S is another step forward.

btw: Usually I need glasses for reeding. Using the Rift S I need no glasses at all!

Regards
Ralf

Addition: 31JUL19

I also ordered a tiny piece in addition called: Leap Motion (about 79€ plus tax)
It will be attached to the front of the Oculus Rift S using an "adapter". (about 20€ plus tax)

Using this device, it will be possible to simply use the hands, without any Oculus controller, to switch virtual knobs.

Waiting for the delivery mid august, as the "adapter" is not on stock...

Other thing:
Theres a download of a "virtual.dll" on the P3D website available. Unfortunately since I copied this file to its destination, I sometimes have an image like viewing from "under the water"...

2019-7-29_3-28-19-324.jpg

Ralf