Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

How works VR in P3D V4.4 for you ?

Got mine at Best Buy and half expected to return it for refund, but no, it was a keeper. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

I also would like to understand whether mouse control is available with the headset on? How are knobs being turned and stuff?

Yes, operate mouse like on flat screen.  The white dot cursor will move in 3D space.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I'll second HiFlyers comments. There is a learning curve and after nearly 3 months I am still on it. But I am getting very close to what I would call very comparable to monitor setting in VR. Of course there are some things that cannot be fixed. The image in very soft at least in the Samsung odyssey+. But that's a small price to pay for being in the flight deck. For Tubeliner flying set the headset to 60hz and for GA go with 90hz. Once I am finished tweaking the setting I'll post results 😀

Edited by Guest

Well, I've pulled the trigger. Bring it on! I'm excited and report back in week or so when I'll get it all set up and perform a few flights.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hi everybody!

I managed to went yesterday with my computer and Joystick to a friend, who owns the HTC Vive Pro and we managed to get it work inside of P3D V4.4.

With the PMDG NGX 737 I had strange thing, a grey field in front of the Capt. Window, like shareware where you have to pay to get unlocked...

It feels in one way fantastic and realistic,  like you would sit inside the real cockpit, but otherwise it I was not 100 % convinced with the sharpness of the displays. 

I had to move forward to see them clearly and sharp.

So I decided not to buy a Vive Pro...

......but  instead I brought a used 43 Zoll 4k Monitor from LG and I am total  happy, it fills my complete field of view and its really sharp ...

I run the monitor it with the 2080 graphic card via Display Port in 60 Hz and 30 fps locked.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences! 

I think I will wait for the next round auf VR technology, because Flightsim,

with all the displays is a special case...

Greetings Erik

I would say that for people just starting out with VR, the Oculus Rift is probably the best thing simply because it's almost like an Apple product. It just works.

The need for complex adjustments is minimal, the controllers are excellent, probably the best that there are, and the software is very intuitive and well-thought-out.

The Samsung Odyssey on the other hand, is a much more complex proposition, because the higher resolution requires more resources to run at the same frame rate as the Oculus. (Then there are hidden settings that are pretty hard to come across without help)

The image is much brighter, and can be clearer, but to get the best clarity requires lots of experimentation until you understand exactly how each parameter affects what you see through the headset.

I've had my Samsung Odyssey for several months now, and I'm just beginning to feel that I understand exactly how to dial in the best optics for each individual program.

Unlike the Rift, which as I said is very simple, The Odyssey is more like a racing car that needs to be tuned very carefully. Tune it wrong and you can get a preposterously ugly image that might leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Keep fiddling and tune it right..... And you might just have a revelation.

But it's kind of a chore. For somebody new, I would almost exclusively say stick with the Rift. As I said, it requires less resources (which you will need for things that don't work that great in vr, which includes most sims) and it's not all that hard to get a clear image using things like the Oculus tray tool.

Dialing in the Odyssey, you are almost required to buy FpsVR from Steam to help you tune your settings, and even then you will have to season your settings to taste.

I actually had to spend two days playing with settings, for instance, dialing in the right choice (for me) for Project Cars. It mostly just worked out of the box on my Rift, but dialing in the settings on the Samsung taught me a lot about how the Odyssey works. (Quite different from the Rift)

I suspect that most things out there are designed for the Rift and The Vive, and the WMR headsets like the Odyssey, don't quite fit into the standards set by those two earlier headsets. You have to mess around with the Odyssey a lot more to get the best from it.

On the other hand, the Rift might just about to go the way of the dinosaur. Stocks are dwindling, according to many reports, and I suspect the Rift-S is waiting in the wings.

The Rift-S is rumoured to have the resolution of the Vive, and the controls and simplicity of the Original Rift while having the larger sweet spot of its older brother compared to WMR and Vive. If that happens, I will buy one right away.

And of Course, the Vive Cosmos is coming, too.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, enrico10999 said:

So I decided not to buy a Vive Pro...

......but  instead I brought a used 43 Zoll 4k Monitor from LG and I am total  happy, it fills my complete field of view and its really sharp ...

That's because VR headsets have to be judged by their ppd (pixels/degree). The technology is getting close to what the human eye can perceive though (60 ppd)) as the Varjo professional VR-1 headset uses two screens per eye to achieve ~60 ppd at least in the middle of each eye's field of vision (cleverly done with mirrors, but with only a little smoke):

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-vr-display-ive-ever-seen-varjo-vr-1-costs-6000/

At $5,999 US, I don't think too many of us are going to be buying one, but at least it's not $20,000 US, which shows that at least we're getting closer. And the VR-1 does use a little "smoke", as it has a narrower FOV than most prosumer and consumer VR headsets.  Most technical analysts believe that a uniform pixel density of 30 ppd is probably optimal for consumer use. As a comparison, the Vive Pro, for comparison is at 16 ppd, which is why it doesn't look as good as a 4K monitor.

Edited by jabloomf1230

The new HP headset also uses an optical "trick" to increase its effective PPD from 19 to about 24. That's getting close to the target value of 30 PPD and much better than the rest of the VR headset field which are at 16 PPD and below. Blurry gauge lettering may be a thing of the past. Of course, actual product reviews are needed to be sure though.

Hello all: I quickly brought it up in hanger chat. I see there is a shortage of vr equipment.There is a company that is moving to West Virginia called Immy. They make vr gear for gaming. I asked them if they are going to make  gear for X Plane. Still waiting for a return e- mail.Anybody that wants to know about this company,Immyinc.com

I haven't really had time to tinker with my settings for 4.4, but what is frustrating is to see the amazing VR with "DCS" or the the "Flyinside Simulator", but NOT the same kind of results with P3D.  The cockpits look great in P3D, but the feeling of being up in the air falls way too flat in comparison.  I don't know if my 4.4 settings are lacking now, because I thought it was better in 4.3!??

The bottom line is, the native VR in P3D is NOT up to the quality of other programs.  It is always nice when you can load something up and you DON'T have to always be tinkering with it.  And every time there is a windows 10 update, things seem to get screwed up for FSX/P3D  :(  I have been tinkering, editing.....blah blah blah, for so many years in FS9/FSX/P3D, that I really don't want to keep doing it SO much, seemingly until I die.

On a happy note though, I love VR :)  I really hope the Flyinside team can make things more detailed in their scenery, weather etc., because their VR looks good, both inside the cockpit and outside too.

Bruce

Bruce Wood

I have both the oculus and the vive pro.   

I am running 9th generation i7 with RTX 2080 and 16 Mb ram.

The vive pro looks super clear, especially if you wear glasses, as the Oculus does not work with glasses, but somehow in oculus I don’t seem to need to use them, if your distance vision is pretty good it seems to utilize your distance vision even though its on close to your face.  I wear reading glasses for up close normally.

The Oculus is not as sharp as the vive pro,  but the performance hit in P3D with fly inside I still can’t get it as smooth as with the oculus..  so so far it’s been give and take..  Do I like the bit of clarity that is a bit better, or a smoother flying experience, without any jitters in flight...

Eitherway the immersion is really cool, we have a Oculus setup at work, and have a friend that was a Marine Aviator in F4 Phantoms,  and got him on the sim and he was blown away with the feeling of actually being in the cockpit of the F18 and the F14.  Think he will be coming over more often to fly in future, as he had not experienced being in a fighter since leaving his commission in the 1990s.  He truly thanked me for the experience, and was blown away with looking around and wanted to reach out and touch the things,,,

I’m not sure what is with p3D V4 that the performance is better with oculus on the same computer as the Vive Pro, other than I read the Vive needs more resources from your system.

Aerofly 2 which has the best VR graphics in my opinion looks and flys buttery smooth in VR on both VR setups.   The drawback with Aerofly 2 is there is no other traffic flying, airports have parked planes which look amazing, but nobody else flying and no multiplayer to fly with friends it’s kind of an empty world,  and it’s cool to find a random airliner and pull along side of it and fly formation in your F18 on FSX and P3D.

The stand alone Flyinside sim runs super smooth, but the graphics for airports are just weird buildings and they don’t have the terminals and such yet, as it’s a work in progress, but it flys pretty smooth, but super basic graphics so far, but I have not messed a lot with the complexity and such...

The hidden Gem,,,For aerial dog fighting which I thought would not be that great is a game called Warthunder, which can be free to fly, but you have to earn cool planes by flying and fighting missions..  But the VR is awesome in both oculus and Vive Pro, maybe a bit sharper on Vive Pro, but no performance hits, and I have the graphics cranked up all the way,  but super fun to be flying around with buddies on the same team, fighting as a squadron...Kind of lame on 2D, but in 3D VR you feel like your really in the WW2 plane and the cockpit gauges are all readable,  and the damage to the plane you can see holes in your wing and canopy like your in the thing...  Super cool to fly,  and I was suprised... Very smooth flying experience, even if you just do test flights and fly around without people shooting you down... Warthunder is available on steam for free get it..

Back to P3D, Im not sure why P3D is so taxing on VR,  even FSX SE seems to run smoother in VR, but I have had issues trying to get FSX to launch with Vive Pro setup and Flyinside, not sure, but when it runs it’s really smooth and the visuals look great. With oculus it just works,  I have no issues with FSX and flyinside.

Might want to wait New VR headset coming soon...One thing to consider is Oculus S that is due out Spring 2019, from their announcement it sounds like they get a better picture inside with new displays, with less screen door effect and looks like something to try, and they say it will retail for around 399.00 which is way cheaper than the Vive Pro.   Check out oculus website for more details on it..but hearing good stuff, hope it’s not just sales hype..

All in all, if you have not tried VR,  you need to, you won’t be disappointed, unless you like flying a computer screen more than actually being in an aircraft  and looking around in the cockpit, and out the window,  to line up to runways, and really feel like your inside a plane!!!

Edited by karlz
typo and add

I have an RTX 2080ti waterforce with an unclocked i7700k and an Oculus Rift (consumer version 1) it’s been absolutely brilliant for DCS but with P3D it sucks. My headroom is something like -200% and my FPS will often sit around 22Hz when their is anything vaguely interesting to look at. 

On the Oculus traytool, which is a third party add on to help with Rift settings I have max performance selected and super sampling turned right down but it doesn’t seem to help much with P3D, 22FPS is pretty ordinary. 

On DCS I’m not usually on anything less than 45FPS which is perfectly acceptable for me. 

I’m obviously going to look at overclocking but I have not been all that impressed by P3D as yet. 

1 hour ago, aidanlegras said:

I have an RTX 2080ti waterforce with an unclocked i7700k and an Oculus Rift (consumer version 1) it’s been absolutely brilliant for DCS but with P3D it sucks. My headroom is something like -200% and my FPS will often sit around 22Hz when their is anything vaguely interesting to look at. 

On the Oculus traytool, which is a third party add on to help with Rift settings I have max performance selected and super sampling turned right down but it doesn’t seem to help much with P3D, 22FPS is pretty ordinary. 

On DCS I’m not usually on anything less than 45FPS which is perfectly acceptable for me. 

I’m obviously going to look at overclocking but I have not been all that impressed by P3D as yet. 

I have the same hardware as you, same GPU/CPU. I have overclocked the i7700k to 5.1GHz. 22Hz is 1/4 of 90Hz refresh of the CV1 that P3D is attempting to lock to. In complex aircraft I get 1/4 lock too. In general aviation I'm getting 1/2 lock (45FPS) and sometimes 1/3 lock (30FPS). As long as 1/4 lock is smooth, it is actually ok because the head tracking is still at 90Hz and complex aircraft are mainly about systems flying. If you overclock your CPU, you will get a little improvement to smoothness and ability to add more sliders but since P3D will try to lock 1/4 anyway, you will still see 22-23 FPS.

Edited by glider1