Sign in to follow this  
Caribpilot

Aircraft Lighting Effects.

Hi, 

I've noticed that with the newest version of DX10 fixer that after installing a new aircraft the program no longer scans and converts lighting effects to work with DX10. I'm having some trouble with a few aircraft add-ons that have navigation lights that don't seem to work with DX10. Any ideas on how I can get them working again?

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Lights all seem to work with DX9 but the issue seems to be more so with Carenado products after doing some further testing

There are two changes in version 4.0 - the revisions to effects handling and also a change to hide  lights if they have missing textures.  In the  Carenado model that I have (StationAir) the Nav lights aren't implemented as FSX effects so perhaps its the latter change.  Can you test for me by going into the debug menu and disabling the option  Hide Missing Textures   which is near the bottom and see if that makes a difference.

I just gave it a try with the Saab 340 and it seems like the nav lights are now being illuminated much better. However, with another product, (the Aerosoft DC-8), the Anti collision lights now have a bit of a square edge around them which wasn't there before.

Edited by Caribpilot

Carenado aircraft often share the same light  textures which means that installing and uninstalling their aircraft can sometimes ( by accident ) leave some of their light textures missing.  When that happens the dx9 engine discards the missing texture so the light doesn’t appear.  The dx10 engine in the same circumstances uses a default texture which appears square.

The option that I told you to disable tries to replicate the dx9  behaviour as I got tired of people using the fixer reporting square textures to me when the problem is the aircraft installer.

if you are seeing a square texture with the dc-8 then there is a missing texture that hasn’t been supplied and the fixer option was ( as  intended ) hiding the error just as dx9 would.  Now it’s disabled you see the square texture.  If you enable missing texture alert then fsx will tell you the name of the missing texture and you can ask aerosoft to give it to you.

If the Saab appears the same in dx9 and dx10 with the option unselected and appears differently with the option selected then it may be that the test that I added is misidentifying the Saab light texture as the default texture ( ie missing texture ) and discarding it in error.

Can you reenable the option, turn on  missing texture alert,  switch to dx9 using the controller and back to dx10, load the Saab in both and confirm that there is indeed a difference in your  fsx system in how the Saab light appears in the two engines using the current set of textures that are installed in it

After trying your suggestion, it seems like the nav lights on the 340 are working the same with no alerts for missing textures. The Aerosoft DC-8 however, still shows a square edge on the anti collision lights when the hide missing textures option is not selected in DX10 and there are no missing texture alerts. 

Just to double check, with the aerosoft you edited fsx.cfg to show missing texture alerts and when you load the dc8 in fsx  with the lights turned on you don’t get any pop ups warning about missing textures?

19 hours ago, SteveFx said:

Just to double check, with the aerosoft you edited fsx.cfg to show missing texture alerts and when you load the dc8 in fsx  with the lights turned on you don’t get any pop ups warning about missing textures?

Correct.

Can we split this into two problems, the Carenado Saab missing light and the aerosoft square light texture. Now on the Carendo can you save a flight, take screen shots of the problem light in dx9 dx10 the latter with the debug option off and on. Send them to the yahoo support email address (it’s  in the front of the manual)

The Saab 340 issue seems to be resolved. I will send you an email with screenshots of the DC-8 issue.