sho69607

High End Ivy Bridge chip out of the question in 2019?

Posted (edited)

My current cpu still runs well in most applications, however at 8 years old it is starting to show its age. I get great performance out of P3D with my current setup, but XP11 struggles a bit to run on my system. I'm thinking the combination of the i5-2500k and the high end GTX1070 is creating a bottleneck for my cpu. I'd like to avoid changing out the motherboard, memory, etc. if I can get away with it. Is it still worth it to buy a high end Ivy Bridge chip in this day and age or would my money be better spent on a complete hardware upgrade? I have been looking at the Intel Core i7-3770K which appears to be the best chip you can buy (and is still available new) for the LGA1155 socket.

Edited by sho69607

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would save my money for a complete overhaul later...the marginal increase in performance over your current system would not be worth the time, trouble, or expense IMHO.

Regards

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:55 PM, w6kd said:

I would save my money for a complete overhaul later...the marginal increase in performance over your current system would not be worth the time, trouble, or expense IMHO.

Regards

I agree.  A 9600K based build is an excellent performing upgrade on a budget.