iwebber

The A340 Part 11 - Korea

Following on from my previous post (here), we're now on one of Lufthansa's 16 A340-600s. We are DLH712, departing late afternoon and arriving around midday in Seoul.

Parked next to a retro 747-8
uc?id=1b5tSd2AjUi0SAGDtIZRFB6mq-R8A9AgD

Lining up on 25C
uc?id=1bB_d7PoE0LJmm6GSl_83Gr-eQuvTl7x8

Following the SID which will take us out to the east.
uc?id=1Hy5XSiFLO_EL1YgO5jBeqDbzO401ycwt

Just as we approach the German FIR boundary I notice this military P3
uc?id=1lKHv1MUxUdgzR5Zn38dI4OKHH4miULjj

Sun now setting for our accelerated night.
uc?id=1SQFJKQf0thOvD6PtsI0cmpQsBSLXd3T_

Some Russian AI traffic
uc?id=1RPVtWyg5wqmdspdjj1hP3ZNRnWM5inqk

uc?id=1t6sDivDBPRn3w9K6kXVnP4J3XSPQTikE

Technically this one's Chinese
uc?id=1myNg_cHE9ENukSMvLI9vUj0s4rK06FuM

And this is a Canadian registered Global Express a long way from home.
uc?id=1U4OsBhywF6YD-oCNcKEN9LTcUAYmkASk

Thought this was a pretty good rendition for FSX
uc?id=1IgfN2Lra77gC9yZovn_2YLSj00uxqR-F

More Russian AI traffic parked up
uc?id=1MFyPXqWV1Xv4x8nGEsv2UhumK2LCMsaO

Sun rising fast
uc?id=1qSewV40vD17rFujr4MYjgNr0JysMZlbp

uc?id=1fJ7ZSYjoa9PIXaIgRzm_Uinz2zeAlSCK

North Korea off the left wing
uc?id=1aldgZ07Of8-c3iiswFKaWUv3gJvgsF-Q

UPS plying their trade
uc?id=16lOPg-mCMyN7sivOXSh8KObt_03Jazs9

...and this is where things started to go wrong.
You'll notice in the previous two pics the weather is gin clear... it shouldn't be. As I descended towards the airport I noticed the weather depicted was nothing like what AS16 said it was. I have this issue fairly often, Simconnect seems to just stop talking to AS but without throwing an error, the weather simply freezes so I was descending through about FL100 when I noticed the wind was still 130kts, not impossible for that level but pretty unlikely. I spent quite a while trying to get the link back up, realism killer no. 1.

Oo, look, clouds...
uc?id=1M8fgwfy0zpWS7z5QfDgxG6Vs_7tlmWnQ

Realism killer no. 2 (or is it 1b?). With the clouds back in sight I assumed all was well with the weather until turning onto the ILS at about 10 miles. The wind was still about 270 at 130kts, quite a crosswind for runway 33L.

I went back into trying to reset the weather as we came down the ILS, I configured early and then, finally, at about 5 miles, success!

Wing view as we turn onto the ILS.
uc?id=1UtbaOkC1J64hYA8n1jO4jITF0pHcP3w6

Realism killer no. 3
The weather reset and I lost my 270@130 wind and it dropped instantly to the (as advertised) 010@7, thus losing some 110kts, a lot of which was headwind. The aircraft promptly plunged out of the sky, dropping off the glideslope and going straight into Alpha Floor. I knocked out the autopilot and recovered by hand, in reality I should have gone around but I was tight on time (boy 1 needed picking up from school) so just winged it, stable approach criteria are for wusses anyway.

Realism killer no. 4
As I recovered and started concentrating on the airport I noticed it looking a bit sparse and bland, strange as I have the Overland scenery which looks quite good. Doh! I forgot to activate it! I paused the flight and went into the scenery library and activated it, took a while but seemed to come up OK.

Turning off the runway
uc?id=134M_wkp_E9-b4hS8WiTbPf04gile8adg

Realism killer no. 5 (or is it 4b)
As the default RKSI AFCAD was loaded when I activated the scenery, it meant it doesn't get properly ignored for the rest of the session so I had aircraft double parked and in buildings and over taxiways. The taxi in was just silly, I had to carefully frame the last few photos so it doesn't just look like some 10 year old, off the shelf, flight simulator game... oh, wait, hang on....

Looking across at the cargo apron
uc?id=1OoQRA15nUnEElT2fDjrKOII3qPjspgVg

Still bustling with traffic, just not always in the right place.
uc?id=16PP7y0DuBreMs1yyJUM7uO5he8jpNw_n

Couldn't get any pics of us parked as there were aircraft all over the place. Such a shame as the whole flight was going really well...

Anyway, next flight is over the Pacific to the States.

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

I feel your pain, although I don't have AS16. Until installing FSUIPC I used to have aircraft going from stall to overspeed in a second with shifting winds, so yes, losing a 100+ knot headwind instantly is not really fun.

I currently have a UPS MD-11 en route to RKSI - fingers crossed the weather I encounter using FSOpen Clouds and a freeware airport will not give me much hassle. Nice set of screenshots all the same!

Edited by HighBypass
punctuation