Sign in to follow this  

Prepar3D Vsync with Odyssey+

Posted (edited)

Over the last few months I've gotten to a point with my Odyssey+ setup that I am very happy with. I've ended up looking for a constant 30fps and I do get that nearly all the time (except on approach to complex addon airports in airliners, what's new!).

Earlier on in the learning curve, I was using Prepar3D's own Vsync setting and it seemed to me to be doing the trick but I came across posts that Vysnc is not used with VR. OK, I stopped using it.

I set my HMD to 60hz and I used VRfps to find the optimal settings to deliver above 30fps and it did look to me like the fps was somewhat smoothed out to 30fps without the use of Vsync.

I was flying up the east cost of Australia in the Milviz Sabre at about 4000ft and about 450kts. I've stopped using VRfps now that I have found the sweet spot for performance and appearance. I stay away from the display setting now. You can get sucked down that rabbit hole!

Anyway I dropped down to about 500ft at the same speed flying along the cost line and was looking to my side down at the cost and the ocean and it was stuttering as you might expect at 30fps flying at 450 Kts.

It bothered me though and I though I recalled that when I had Vsync on when I was fiddling with the setting for VR originally it was smoother.

I paused and took off my Odyssey+ and went into Prepar3D setting and turned Vsync on. I put the Odyssey+ back on made sure P3D was focused and unpaused and I can tell you that the difference that turning on Vsync made was incredible. Stutters completely gone!

Edited by Guest

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On 3/15/2019 at 3:53 PM, Avidean said:

Over the last few months I've gotten to a point with my Odyssey+ setup that I am very happy with. I've ended up looking for a constant 30fps and I do get that nearly all the time (except on approach to complex addon airports in airliners, what's new!).

Earlier on in the learning curve, I was using Prepar3D's own Vsync setting and it seemed to me to be doing the trick but I came across posts that Vysnc is not used with VR. OK, I stopped using it.

I set my HMD to 60hz and I used VRfps to find the optimal settings to deliver above 30fps and it did look to me like the fps was somewhat smoothed out to 30fps without the use of Vsync.

I was flying up the east cost of Australia in the Milviz Sabre at about 4000ft and about 450kts. I've stopped using VRfps now that I have found the sweet spot for performance and appearance. I stay away from the display setting now. You can get sucked down that rabbit hole!

Anyway I dropped down to about 500ft at the same speed flying along the cost line and was looking to my side down at the cost and the ocean and it was stuttering as you might expect at 30fps flying at 450 Kts.

It bothered me though and I though I recalled that when I had Vsync on when I was fiddling with the setting for VR originally it was smoother.

I paused and took off my Odyssey+ and went into Prepar3D setting and turned Vsync on. I put the Odyssey+ back on made sure P3D was focused and unpaused and I can tell you that the difference that turning on Vsync made was incredible. Stutters completely gone!

Whats your hardware?

Can you post your P3D Settings?