Libra204

Starter kit P3D

Dear All

Having played about 3,000 hours with FSX, I have now reached a point where I need some change in terms of simulators. 

I would like to convert to P3Dv4. Please let me know what additional SW I need to have the following effects:

weather update and real weather link with the sim

(nearly) photoreal weather elements, clouds, rain, etc. I was thinking Rex Skyforce

Thaks

Csaba

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

ActiveSky has the best weather engine. Their included textures are good enough for me, but a lot of people like Skyforce's textures better and use them concurrently with AS's engine.

Keep in mind that the weather engines can really only read the METARs and generate weather based on them, and METARs are general area condition reports, not specific weather events.

In other words, if there's a tornado over your home airport in real life, you won't see it if you go there in your sim, but you will see bad thunderstorms and rain. AS does do a pretty respectable job with hurricanes, though.

Also, if you end up using any addons that monitor passenger comfort, you'll want to turn the turbulence effects way down because the way p3d simulates turbulence is unrealistic, and even mild turbulence will dock you for making your passengers uncomfortable.

Thanks for the response, eslader

Does it mean that I have to purchase ActiveSky to be able to see weather updates and SkyForce as well, or it is enough to buy either of these to have the weather experience?

Big decision if you only want to use one sim....but I would also recommend that you try the demo of XP11.3 available...while its only the SeaTac area it give you some idea of what else is out there.

I use both P3DV4 and XP11.3+ for different reasons.....I will say once I tried and built up my XP, I barely fly in P3Dv4....biggest single thing is much better performance under high memory load (and I have mine sim loaded to the brim) and absolutely smooth, not microstutters and such most likely due to it being programmed 64bit right from the getgo.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Bryan