Gregory_Douglas

747-8 Passenger Cabin Lights Not Working

I cannot figure out how to turn on the passenger cabin lights to Chris Evans' version of Air Force One. He assembled and edited it based on the Posky 747-8i model. There's a switch in the VC instrument panel called "Cabin Light" but it doesn't seem to turn on any lights in the cockpit or passenger cabin (as seen from the outside). Does anyone know how to contact Chris Evans?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Should be a read-me file in the download with instructions on how to contact the developer.

I will download this aircraft and see if I can help out!  Problem Effects fout of town until late Thursday afternoon.  Can't do much with this Android pad I'm typing on now!  Hang in there! :blink:

Do you have the proper effect for the cabin lights in your main Effects folder?

On 3/31/2019 at 10:13 AM, Jim Young said:

Yeah, I had already visited his YouTube channel but couldn't find a way to private message him. He hasn't been active on his channel for a few years and isn't replying to other people's comments but I might try posting a comment anyway.

One other thing, even though I check to "Notify me of replies" box, I'm not getting any reply notifications. I checked my email address and it's correct.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, charliearon said:

I will download this aircraft and see if I can help out!  Problem Effects fout of town until late Thursday afternoon.  Can't do much with this Android pad I'm typing on now!  Hang in there! :blink:

Do you have the proper effect for the cabin lights in your main Effects folder?

Chris included separate Effects & Sound folders (apart from the main aircraft folder) but his read-me file says to only copy and paste the Sound folder into the FSX main sound folder. Here are the files in that Effects folder:

Opensky_condens.fx"
Opensky_logo_light.fx"
Opensky_nacelle_refl.fx"
Opensky_nav_yellow.fx"
Opensky_sparks.fx"
Opensky_vortex.fx"
Opensky_wing_light.fx"
Opensky_747_vclight.fx"
Opensky_beacon.fx"
Opensky_conden.fx"

Didn't see anything that looked like cabin lights.

Here's the link where you can download the aircraft: https://www.fs-freeware.net/downloads/download/55-military-aircraft/2467-fsx-boeing-747-8-air-force-one-new-vc.html

Edited by Gregory_Douglas

Keep in mind that the light effects normally won't be named "cabin lights".  He could be be using vclight.fx or maybe something else.  Make sure to copy all of the included effects files into your main Effects folder.

4 hours ago, Gregory_Douglas said:

One other thing, even though I check to "Notify me of replies" box, I'm not getting any reply notifications. I checked my email address and it's correct.

According to the "Follow" button in the upper right corner of this topic, you are listed as a follower and should be receiving notifications.  I checked your profile and you did not indicate you wanted to be notified of new replies so I enabled it for you.

4 hours ago, charliearon said:

Keep in mind that the light effects normally won't be named "cabin lights".  He coulbe be using vclight.fx or maybe something else.  Make sure to copy all of the included effects files into your main Effects folder.

I copied all of the included effects files into the main FSX Effects folder and still no cabin lights. There is a switch for Cabin Lights on the left side of the upper instrument panel but it does not work.

Ok, one last test would be to plant yourself somewhere dark, turn on your battery and hit the l (L) key.  That should turn on all lights.  Any cabin lights then?  Hope the passengers aren't watching a movie and have all of the shades shut!!

4 hours ago, charliearon said:

Ok, one last test would be to plant yourself somewhere dark, turn on your battery and hit the l (L) key.  That should turn on all lights.  Any cabin lights then?  Hope the passengers aren't watching a movie and have all of the shades shut!!

Yeah... already tried that but checked it one more time. Still no passenger cabin lights as viewed from the outside even when hitting the L key. I'll just wait until you get back in town so you can download it and check it out.

Well, so far there is no action, either by left or right clicking or scrolling the thumbwheel on that cabin light switch.  The mouse pointer changes to a finger while hovering on that switch, but no action or cabin lights.

I will try a download from somewhere else.

A download from the Rikooo  site had a similar 747-8 and I did see cabin lights from an outside view.  I don't think they were activated by a panel switch, but from night textures of the aircraft.  . 

Now that I have had some time to contemplate my naval, I understand why the cabin lights switch doesn't work!  This panel was developed by  Alejandro Rojas Lucena.  The download for this modification is from Simviation FSND.

I have this mod in my default 747-400 and the cabin lights switch works along with turning on the panel light.  That's why Mr. Lucena stated in the README about the panel, that at night, it's better on the eyes to not turn on the cabin lights because it also turns on the panel lights.  This developer added this 747 panel modification to his aircraft but screwed around with the lights and disabled the cabin lights along the way.

I found three Air Force One models, all based on that original Prosky model you probably have. Each one has something wrong with it. One doesn't have a VC and the landing lights are way too bright. A second one has horrible audio where you can hear the actual loop points of the engine noise. Man is that irritating. That model also regularly crashes my computer. The third one by Chris Evans (the one we are discussing) doesn't have cabin lights but everything else is working fine.

Thanks for helping out; no need for you to waste any more time on this.

• Upvote 1

I knew if I banged my head hard enough on this desk that I'd come up with the fix.  There are a couple of texture files that need to be replaced inside the texture.AF1 folder.  I will also PM you about this!

cabin lites off.JPG

cabin lites on.JPG