Sign in to follow this  
cannow

Upgrade to I5 9600K any point in prepar3 D

Hi all need your advice I upgraded my graphics card to RTX 2080 and great performance can push my AA much higher and helps with rift on high PD 2.0. I still believe my sytem may well be bottlenecking on the CPU side . I have an 17 6700K O/C to 4.4 Ghz no HT . 16mb of ram on 2666mhz . 

Looking at a m/b upgrade to I5 9600K 16mb 3200mb will cost about £500 with motherboard . Is this a worthwhile upgrade would I be better saving and investing in a I7 9700K .

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Upgrading from a quad-core at 4.4GHz to either a six or eight-core CPU at 5 GHz+ will indeed be worth it.

I'm not a real fan of the 9600K because of the limited level-2 cache--I'd rather have an 8th Gen 8700K/8086K with 12MB than a 9th Gen 9600K with only 9MB.  So were it me, I'd hold out for the 9700K (8 cores, 12MB cache).

Regards

• Upvote 1

Agree 100% -- save $$ for the 9700K.

I'm really impressed with the 8700K, mine can hold 5.0 ghz all day with that big 12MB cache at good temps.  The 9700K wasn't available when I built my simrig or else I would have gone with that.  After seeing 6 cores in action in the sim, it is acceptably ok -- but 8 is better, once you see how texture loading is vs. other performance aspects are in the sim.

• Like 1

Cheers guys was worrying that not spending the extra £180 would be a false economy though I could have easily have gone with the I5 when I built my current PC as never used HT