Sign in to follow this  
Gil Yoder

How to load flight plan

I am a little confused about how to get a flight plan created in P2A loaded into an airplane. I have a Vertx Diamond DA62 with a G1000, and I am unable to load a flight plan from P2A into it.

It seems to me that sometimes just filing a flight plan loads it into an aircraft, but this doesn't work apparently with the DA62. So I have exported the flight plan from P2A into a PLN file, but when I load that with the P3D4 flight planner, all I get is a direct route from the departure to the destination airports. All of the waypoints, including the SID, STAR, approach and intermediate waypoints seem to be stripped from the plan.

How can I get the complete plan loaded into both P2A and the DA62 so I can use PA2 ATC with th plane?

Gil

gyoder_emailsig.jpg?_1393642712_04 sig?u=gyoder
Gil Yoder
about.me/gyoder 

Are you exporting your flight plan from P2A to whatever format/folder the DA62 requires? Some planes use whatever the native format of the sim is, others use proprietary formats. The Majestic Dash-8 Q400, for example, uses a flight plan format unique to that plane. Fortunately some clever person wrote a little program that converts flight plans to this format. Seems like something Majestic really dropped the ball on.

I am exporting to the FSX/P3D *.pln format. P3D4 can read that and load it into the G1000, but like I say it includes just a direct to route to the destination. The G1000 saves some files in *.csv format, but that's not designed for importing from other programs. It's mainly to simulate the G1000 save to SD card.

Gil Yoder
about.me/gyoder 

Procedures, like SIDs and STARs are not exported.  If you have a route that only includes the departure and destination airports, along with a SID, STAR and approach, then the export will only contain the two airports.  You then add the procedures in your GPS/FMC.   

In P2A, there is an option on the FltPln config tab to "Export SID/STAR/Approach waypoints".  When you check this, those waypoints are included in the export, but the other details of the procedure, like altitude and speed restrictions, are not.  To get those, you must export without these waypoints and add the actual procedures in the GPS/FMC so it has access to it's definition of those procedures.

Dave

Thank you, Dave.

So, the correct procedure to use P2A for a flight that includes a SID and/or STAR would be to create a route and then add the SID and STAR manually in both P2A and the aircraft's GPS/FMS. Is that right?

Gil

Gil Yoder
about.me/gyoder 

It depends on the FMS and Flight Plan format.  Some can import the procedures, others cannot.

In general, though, most FMSs only want to see the route (Airports and enroute waypoints) and have you add the procedures after the route is imported so that it can pull the procedures from its own data and be able to make sense of it.