Jump to content

glider1

Oculus desktop windows in P3D

Recommended Posts

Has anyone been able to drag a desktop window into P3D VR with the Oculus software? I get as far as enabling it in experimental mode, pressing A on the hand controller and the middle finger then dragging the window into oculus home environment and and moving it and resizing it with the hand controller.

When I go full screen VR in P3D the window doesn't show. If you did get it working, did you see a performance hit?

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glider1 said:

Has anyone been able to drag a desktop window into P3D VR with the Oculus software? I get as far as enabling it in experimental mode, pressing A on the hand controller and the middle finger then dragging the window into oculus home environment and and moving it and resizing it with the hand controller.

When I go full screen VR in P3D the window doesn't show. If you did get it working, did you see a performance hit?

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget to pin the window so that it will show up. You'll find the small pin icon in the lower right corner of the window that you wish to pin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Don't forget to pin the window so that it will show up. You'll find the small pin icon in the lower right corner of the window that you wish to pin

Thanks, do you notice a performance hit or extra stutters Hiflyer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There can be one, depending on your computer hardware specs. Make sure you are pinning a single window and not your entire desktop!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up for those that may not have heard of this: Those with lower powered systems with less resources to spare might find this especially helpful.

Note that the installation procedure listed below is not necessary if you have installed the Oculus tray tool, which does this all with a single click: 

The tray tool can be found here: http://bit.ly/2XVXMnA

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually pin the entire desktop so I can alt-tab between different applications - charts, weather, flight plan. I'm not noticing any performance hit with a 6700k and GTX1070.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a test on a 2080ti Rift CV1. Adding one window to P3D draws about 5-10% more GPU load. Adding more windows didn't increase load further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, andreh said:

I usually pin the entire desktop so I can alt-tab between different applications - charts, weather, flight plan. I'm not noticing any performance hit with a 6700k and GTX1070.

Awesome thanks. It seems that adding the entire desktop doesn't take up any more GPU than adding just one window. The control you get in VR is amazing. You can do everything including changing aircraft from within VR never have to leave it any more. It is such a pity that the P3D desktop window needs to take up half the screen merely to show all the menu options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...