Sign in to follow this  
RdV

Computer specs. and frames / sec.

Hello all,

The more I read about computer specs. and how it all effects my frames per second, the more confused I get!

Anyways, I thought I'd do my best to ask the community if what I'm getting is about right:

- 17-25 fps, left graphics sliders to 'high', right graphics sliders to 'low'

- GPU utilization is mostly showing 100%, CPU utilization shows about 25%

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Manufacturer GenuineIntel
Description Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Architecture x64
# of Cores 4
# of Threads 8
Current Clock Speed 3601 MHz
Current Voltage 2.1
Level 2 Cache 1024 Kb
Level 3 Cache 8192 Kb
Processor Id BFEBFBFF000306C3
Revision 15363
Availability

Running at full power

Graphics

Radeon RX 570 Series
Adapter Compatibility Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Video Processor AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Bits Per Pixel 32
Number of Colors 4294967296
Refresh Rate - Current 60 Hz
Refresh Rate - Maximum 70 Hz
Refresh Rate - Minimum 50 Hz
Driver Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Driver Version 26.20.11015.5009
Driver Date 5/22/2019
Adapter DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Adapter RAM 4.00 GB
Availability Running at full power
Status This device is working properly.
Location PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
Device Id PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_341B1462&REV_EF\4&519621C&0&0008

I have no idea if the above info. is enough for anyone to tell me if I should be getting 17-25 fps or not. 

Thanks,

RdV

The problem is like most people you dont read for yourself, and no one here has a crystal ball, You can build 2 exact same spec pcs and both wiill run with different FPS, its just the way it is.

Basically. Intel in CPU is btter than AMD currently due to single thread performance, xplane basically like FSX used to do only really uses the other cores to push textures to the GPU, problem is GPUs dont really have much to do, because the CPUs are holding them back,

As far as GPUS are considered Nvidia is still king but Vulcan when it gets released may even the playing field, its an open GL thingy.

The faster you run your CPU the better which is why most get CPU's they can overclock, but even that may only gain you 5 fps.

Xplane GPUs really need 8 gig Vram especially if you want to wind things up, other wise you get a lot of memory swapping and things get slow. Currently there is not much diff between the 1070 1080 and 2000 series cards except maybe the price as many have found after  biting teh bullet.

As far as xplane setting are concerned, reflection should be at lowest or off, its an FPS killer

Texture quality Maximum not with ( no compression)

Visual you need HDR if you want landing and taxi light. The rest is up to you.

But the FPS will depend on the airport you are at, the plane you are using, the weather (clouds etc), the scenery and well like I said we dont have a crystal ball.

• Like 1

You're being bottlenecked by your gpu. AMD gpu's have very low performance in X-Plane, so that's the reason of your low fps. According to X-Plane developers, the upcoming introduction of Vulkan should improve things and take AMD gpus on par with nVidia. So you can either buy a nVidia and sell your AMD, or wait a few months until Vulkan is introduced and see if things improve.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What Murmer said above.

Also, back off your graphics settings so you never go below 20 fps (actually it might be 19 fps, I forget). That's the threshold where X-Plane starts to slow down time in the simulation, like the speed at which you approach the runway when landing. It's a programmed attempt to keep a high enough frame rate for flying, but it ruins the accuracy of the sim. Never go below that 19-20 fps number if you can help it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I've been running an i7-4770K with all 4 physical cores locked at 4.5GHz for over 3 years and I love that darned processor.  Adequate cooling is, of course, required.  I've done the AMD thing, and I'll never leave Intel and NVIDIA again, not ever.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

17 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I've been running an i7-4770K with all 4 physical cores locked at 4.5GHz for over 3 years and I love that darned processor.  Adequate cooling is, of course, required.  I've done the AMD thing, and I'll never leave Intel and NVIDIA again, not ever.

Never say never, I have same with 1070, that new AMD cpu just about to be released my finally be a game changer, need to watch for real gaming benchmark reviews comparisons, Might force my hand

I would add and recommend a GPU with vRam of at least 8gb min.,  4gb as per you current configuration is just not enough if you want eye candy.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo