Sign in to follow this  
shally17

Old scenery

Hello,

I have spent so much money on scenery add ons for FSX over the years and now am finally switching to P3D V4. This is probably a dumb question that has been asked many times (but I can't find it). Apart from my Orbx products, will any of my other FSX/P3DV3 sceneries work with P3D V4?

Regards,

Steve Shallcross.

Edited by shally17

1 hour ago, shally17 said:

Hello,

I have spent so much money on scenery add ons for FSX over the years and now am finally switching to P3D V4. This is probably a dumb question that has been asked many times (but I can't find it). Apart from my Orbx products, will any of my other FSX/P3DV3 sceneries work with P3D V4?

Most older FSX/P3D sceneries will work with P3Dv4. 
That said, don't be surprised if:

1. There are some missing or strange placement of objects (incl. terminal buildings)
  2. They don't perform as well as scenery designed natively for v4
  3. Older scenery objects cause CTDs

Infrequent, but these do occasionally occur.

There's nothing to stop you from adding older sceneries (even if some people frown upon 'tainting' your 64-bit setup), just be aware that some sceneries may have limitations and a few just won't work at all.

I would highly recommend the add-on organiser (freeware) Lorby P4AO. Oliver states how to add legacy scenery here:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/534107-p4ao-how-to-add-legacy-scenery/

You will really want to keep your P3D install as pristine as possible to assist with updates / reinstalls, so follow the instructions in the link to keep your add-on scenery bgls and textures, effects, sounds plus global bgls and global textures out of the main P3D folder.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, shally17 said:

Thanks for the reply!

Most will work as was said.  One thing not mentioned was that often you will need to adjust things like taxisigns in the scenery, but that's easy using ADE.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB