Sign in to follow this  
neiljt

Could flights saved become part of the scenery?

Guest parkhardt6

Hi all,this may sound a little bit strange, but it's the way I play/fly with FS: After a flight I save the situation and on the next session start at the same place with the same aircraft for another flight. I have some 15 to 20 situations/planes saved. Sometimes it happens I arrive at an airport, where (virtually) one of the other planes is parked. What would be really great is to actually see this other plane parked where I parked it on the last flight. Basically it would mean, that the saved situations become part of the scenery. Maybe this could become true in FSX? What do you think, folks? And the MS-guys here in the forum?Best regardsParkhardt

Guest dutton

Noe that idea I like. Kind of like your own little ramp of saved flights or collection of add-on's. Of course, it would be CPU intensive if it loaded the entire aircraft but perhaps there may be a way to only display the "shell" of each aircraft.Good thinking!duttonhttp://fsblogger.com/blogs/dutton

each saved flight is an independent entity. They've little to do with one another...Date and time can differ, weather settings, etc. etc. etc.

Nice idea. For this to make sense FSX would have to recognise individual planes rather than plane types or there would have to be some sort of mechanism that automatically removes old planes after some time unless you fly them out of their current location. Having individual planes would open up a host of possibilities (wear, maintenance etc). Support for a virtual air line would be a logical continuation...Another idea would be a tick box in the config called "persistent situation" (or something along those lines), the effect of which would be that you always continue where you left off unless you actively creates a new situation. That tick box wold be checked by me at least. :-smooch We'll just have to wait and see how the much talked about "mission driven" aspect of FSX turns out.Cheers/Jonas

Guest dutton

jwenting.... We are not talking about the actual flight weather and time. We are talking about just the aircraft, displaying where it was parked.

I fly that way as well -- and have had the same thought. I think I may have even sent something like that in as a suggestion several version ago. Since FS is getting so visually stunning, it would be cool to taxi up to and around another plane you parked there previously (then get out and pre-flight it and take it up for a spin as well:))Perhaps the MS developers can tell us if the concept is possible with the current architecture??

Interesting idea :-)Though there may be potential for eddies in the virtual space-time continuum ...

It would indeed be nice to have a way to put selected, favorite aircraft in a "hanger" or "ramp area" so you could see all of 'em when returning to "base." ;)But, what a frame rate hog that would be! :-bang

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

yes, but if an aircraft was parked at say Schiphol's gate D58 on 23/3/2006 at 1400 Zulu, will it still be there when you arrive in another aircraft 24 hours later?Would be unrealistic, as in reality aircraft are kept at a gate only for a few hours. And what if your other flight has the time set to something before that aircraft arrived? Would be unrealistic to see it parked on arrival. In fact in your scheme you'd have to see it arrive after you if you came in at say 10 minutes before the hour, and of course use the correct runway you used in your other flight.See the complications building up already?

it would be the only thing that would possibly satisfy the people who claim that nothing is realistic enough somewhat...

Hi,Your "persistant situation" already exists in FS2004. It's called Previous Flight. Select it, and check the Make Default button. Then OK. You will return to FS as it was when you last quit it.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest tdragger

It's possible you could do that in FS2004 by running an add-on that scanned your flight files, pulled out the relevant info and compiled it into an AI traffic database. As for performance it would be no different that normal AI traffic.

> As for performance it would be no different that normal AI traffic.Ummmmmmmm!!

No surprise there. If you're using PMDG or PSS aircraft for AI traffic you're in for a rude awakening after all :)