Sign in to follow this  
Guest grapesh

Already disappointed

I think Avsim has set the record recently with the most bans of users under 5 posts in a short space of time.It seems they are coming out of the cracks recently. Please, someone get some putty and close up those cracks. Albeit some interesting points, but slathered with a disregard for decent criticism, and no real facts presented.[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="4" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2][td width=500]Jason CYOO - Formerly MYNN[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, FX5900 128MB, XP SP2.[br /][br /]

Boy you really hit the nail on the head. With each new release of FS I hope the stutters of the previous version will be fixed, but this never happens. I like many aspects of flight sim but the performance is always an issue. Games like Pacific Fighters don't have these issues. It just runs perfect, never a stutter not once.Spending many thousands on the fastest PC available and tweaking it to the max has little effect in flight sim. Going to a major airport and turning up the weather and AI (even half way) and its stutter city. Why FS the engine is so inefficient? Why is it drawing planes on the other side of the terminal that aren't even visible? The big hope this time is DX10. If FS can be optimised for DX10 and 64 bit compiled for Vista I think there can finally be a version of FS that runs fast.

> If MS would only eliminate it without adding a single new feature this in itself would be worthy of a seperate release.Thats correct, and theres absolutely no reason against having a 'double dip' and releasing a separate DX10 version. Alot of users would eventually buy both versions so its makes good commercial sense and keeps customers happy :)

Its funny that you actually answered yourself when you said you get stutter around major airports! Does Pacific Fighters have major airports around major metropolitan areas? (Major airports are around cities with lots of scenery objects and are usually full of add-on AI.) You also implied that your system runs okay if your AI slider is set at half. FS team could have, easily, limited the maximum number of AI and taken that choice (of adjusting AI level) away from you. And sometimes I think they should have, so people like you wouldn't insult them for being inefficient programmers. I assure you that FS team is as talented as it comes. I doubt that they have any less programing skill than people who did Pacific Fighters. To see how talented the FS team is, note that they have been invited to present two of their top technologies at Games Developrs' Conference next week! http://www.steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/20...imulato_7.shtml

Guest Traffic

I agree about the stutters. That is the single most annoying issue with FS for me personally.It seems no matter how much we tweak, we can reduce it but never come close to eliminate it. I personally will wait till after FSX is released and see what users say about it in this regard before jumping in.

>I assure you that FS team is as talented as it comes.Few doubt it. But I am afraid that stutters were never high priority with the MSFS team. There are ways to reduce stutters if graphic engine was designed to throw away some eye candy when it comes to crunch time (perhaps according to user's selected priority list). Maybe not everyone would like the result but at least some users could have opted for this no-stutter nirvana. I kind of identify with the first poster - you go and watch the promotional video and scratch your head when you see every frame being delivered to you with outmost 'stress' and you realize that priorities of the development team are mostly 10 miles from your own.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

> You also implied that your system runs okay if your AI slider is set at half.Read it again mate. I said that with the cloud and traffic at only around 50% there are stutters. The video from CES not only stutters, but the other thing is the autogen houses are popping in late. This is only a default chopper flying somewhere around Hawaii. Theres no major city or airport in sight, no traffic around (except a car!) and the weather is fine! It's a real concern.

Users...[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="4" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2][td width=500]Jason CYOO - Formerly MYNN[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, FX5900 128MB, XP SP2.[br /][br /]

>>I assure you that FS team is as talented as it comes.>>Few doubt it. But I am afraid that stutters were never high>priority with the MSFS team. There are ways to reduce stutters>if graphic engine was designed to throw away some eye candy>when it comes to crunch time (perhaps according to user's>selected priority list).You're demonstrating that you don't know much (if anything) about how the sim actually works, because that exactly what it does now...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Can't help but wonder if the people complaining about stutters and frame rates every tried a clean install of FS2004 without any 3rd party addons? Probably run smooth as silt with 60 fps. It's when one throws in the mesh and complex weather addons and aircraft models that take up 100's of megs of RAM, that frame rates start to tank.Also, don't forget the issue FS2002 had with stutters. The problem was 95% fixed with FS2004.Truth is, one can get whatever frame rate you want with FS. Just turn off some of the useless eye candy.This is not to say the the OP doesn't have a couple valid points.Matt

Guest Traffic

I get stutters on my system with a clean FS9 install, with no add-ons what so ever. I know some people say they don't and I believe them which points the finger at my system.The thing is, I have three systems than range from old to moderately new, and it stutters on all three and I've tweaked the OS and FS9 endlessly. I tried literally every 'trick' with no joy.I have spent at least three times as much tweaking than flying and FS has been the only software that required that much work. I'm not saying I'm ready to give up this hobby, in fact I love it especially when it runs relatively smoothly but I just wish I didn't have to put in this much effort and still not get rid of THE ONE annoying thing about FS - Stutters. This problem for me just takes away all the realism.I may be in the minority here with this issue, but I know I'm not alone.I'm not expecting miracles with FSX. I know the team is very talented and every version just gets better. I know if there was a way for them to get rid of it, they would have done it a long time ago. My only hope is that Vista, DX10, and all the new hardware coming out by the end of this year, might do the trick. Call me optimistic but that's all thats keeping me going on this expensive hobby.

Guest Jimbofly

Geez it's obviously got NOTHING to do with the fact that FS9 has like 1000x the geometry data that Pacific Fighters has. Autogen anyone?

Guest Jimbofly

Um, I'd hate to state the obvious but the promotional video at CES is not the finished product, and at the moment is nowhere near as optimised as it will be at release.If you're concerned about stutters, set you AI traffic, autogen and scenery complexity to minimum. Stutters solved.James