Sign in to follow this  
felixfer

Spinning propellers causes massive FPS dropping

Dear friends,

After looking everywhere without finding answer, I open this post asking for your wisdom.

I have recently noted a very strange behavior in some of my planes, only props and turboprops, in FSX-SE.

At the VC everything is fine, I have my FPS locked at 30 and my present rig maintains that no matter where and under what circunstances.

But, when I go to any exterior view (Spot, Locked Spot, Flyby, Top, even Tower), the FPS goes down to 0.5. The sim actually freezes, I must wait a time until it obeys any command at all.

I am convinced that the problem is related with the spinning animation, because if I stop the engines and go to an external view, I don't have FPS dropping. Even If I have the plane with the propellers spinning and I made Ctrl+P, when it accepts the order and the propellers slow their spinning, the FPS ratio increases at same time, and it reaches again 30 FPS when the propellers are still or moving slowly.

This problem affects only to some of my planes (Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended, Carenado B200...) and only since a short period of time, I have used these planes normally for years.

Thanks a lot in advance for your attention and help, and best wishes,

Felix FdC

Oviedo (Spain)

Edited by felixfer

i9-9900K / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 2070 8 GB / W10 64

Does turning the sound off with the "Q" key return your FPS to more normal? I have seen issues like this when the computer sound is built onboard the motherboard. In this configuration, the sound system is sharing the CPU with the visual rendering causing slowdown in the visual FPS.

Edited by yurei
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a lot for your answer and your sugestion, yurei. I had read about this possibility and I made that experiment without success. With "Q" key pressed the problem remains, no change at all.

Anyway, thanks again for your kindness.

Felix

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 3:11 AM, yurei said:

Does turning the sound off with the "Q" key return your FPS to more normal? I have seen issues like this when the computer sound is built onboard the motherboard. In this configuration, the sound system is sharing the CPU with the visual rendering causing slowdown in the visual FPS.

Problem solved!

You gave me a very important clue, yurei. First at all, after more testing I realized that the issue affected only to the AS Twin Otter Extended. Following your suggestion about the sound, I found many complains about the ASC.DLL file (Aerosoft Sound Control Lib). The version of my plane was an old one, the 1.1.0.1. I looked for a more recent version, and I found it in my last AS Airbus, the 1.3.1.2. I replaced the old one in all the Twin Otters models and now there is no FPS dropping at all when I change to external views. I must say that I also installed FSPUIC at the same time, but I think that the reason of the problem was related to the ASC.DLL file, after my update to W10 in the past months.

So, thanks again for your key suggestion.

Best regards,

Felix