Sign in to follow this  
Will273

VRAM Do I have enough?

Got a new computer I'm happy with along with X Plane 11. I'm experimenting with the settings but am wondering if I have enough VRAM. I've got an RTX 2080 video card with 8 GB of ram. In my system settings under the display adapter it says I have 8192 Video Memory and Total Available Graphics Memory is 24541....not sure what these numbers are telling me...doesn't have MB or GB next to them so I don't know....also 32GB DDR4 3600RAM.  Sitting on the runway at Chicago's Midway Airport in the default Columbia 400...the texture settings rendering option says 701 MB is needed. I'm getting around 35 to 40 FPS but get some stutters when I pan around the cockpit...other than that it flies smoothly. Do I have enough VRAM or am I pushing things a bit. I have pretty much everything on the low side except visual objects which is set to max and anti aliasing at 2. Thanks.

Edited by Will273

Set texture resolution setting to medium and you will be fine. Fire up Task Manager (while running X-Plane), go to expanded view... on the bottom, you will see your VRAM stats.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I was using Windows 7 and X Plane 10...now it's Windows 10 and X Plane 11. Trying to find my way around both. I know I asked this before recently and sorry to bring it up again but the numbers they mention in the display adapter do not mention anything about MB or GB...just numbers...no decimal point or anything. I'll try to find the task manager and check it out. Thanks Colonel!

turn reflection OFF or worst case go one notch no more, Doesnt affect cockpit and you probably wont miss them, they are teh greatest FPS killer, also texture qualty to max not all the way to end. Its funny I have a 1070 8gig and with reflections off I get 50 to 60, So much for spending money on expensive graphics cards

With a 4GB like I have you'll max out vram quickly (which is why I'm in the market for a 8GB card of sorts).  I think you can run textures on high (not max) and reflections on low and that'll be great.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

FYI.

Only very few games, one or two has ever really maxed out a 8 gig card. The games allocates the VRAM it uses, so getting lets say you get an 11 gig, it does not mean it uses more VRAM.

If the VRAM starts increasing with the VRAM size its an indicator of a memory leak, that is a software issue not a hardware issue. 

On 6/29/2019 at 12:33 AM, Montie said:

FYI.

Only very few games, one or two has ever really maxed out a 8 gig card. The games allocates the VRAM it uses, so getting lets say you get an 11 gig, it does not mean it uses more VRAM.

If the VRAM starts increasing with the VRAM size its an indicator of a memory leak, that is a software issue not a hardware issue. 

Thanks Montie.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:33 PM, Montie said:

FYI.

You must not use XP11 ha!

@Will273 get a 8GB card or more if you can.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 6/28/2019 at 4:56 PM, Will273 said:

have pretty much everything on the low side

So you bought a new system and... you're doing something wrong!

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

15 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

To late now but I still have X Plane 10...if all else fails. My new setup had an 8GB card. I got the Xforce RTX Pro System...it's good...I just need to find my way around everything. They build computers just for X Plane. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Colonel X said:

So you bought a new system and... you're doing something wrong!

I'm always doing "something" wrong...just need to figure out what it is...everything's good now. I just need to keep the graphics settings under the limit...which is whatever settings let me pan around the cockpit without any stutters or judder...I use bad weather in cities like Chicago or NYC as test grounds. Not that I fly in those areas a lot but want to know if I need to I can without having to worry about FPS and stuttering. If I'm on final and get a sudden downburst that's going to slam me into the pavement...I want it to be smooth...knowing I can enjoy it.

17 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

No I do not. But as I wrote, if the VRAM just fills up it’s a sign of poor optimization.

Not saying you're wrong but it still uses a ton of vram 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |