Sign in to follow this  
philmurfin

Ortho ZL20

Hello,

Does anyone know if or where I could locate some ortho scenery at ZL20 just for my local area please

I have downloaded at  ZL20 from Bing, Arc and USA2 but then when I try to use it there's just a white screen with printing on it.

Thanks for any help with this

Phil

Where is your local area?

ZL20 is hugely overkill and you won't get anything by going that high apart from using 512GB per 1x1 tile. If you really need a high zoom-level, stick with ZL18 which is the max most providers will show and looks good (it also uses a lot of disk space)

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply,

I live in the UK, I already have some of the UK at ZL19 stored on an external 8TB drive, I just fancied ZL20 for flying low and slow in my own area.

Phil

I could be wrong but I think the white color with painting on top might be a security thing.

I know I've seen similar things in the past flying over sensible areas such as military areas, nuclear plants etc.

Richard Åsberg

An interesting thought thanks but I've tried various areas and got the same result.

I think the Bing version had "not yet available" written on it but it let me download a huge great file that took a good few days to download.

Must have felt quite annoying finding out after downloading such a huge file.

As was already mentioned, ZL20 is probably still a bit overkill and like you mention seeing on the Bing version...not yet available in most cases.

I have ZL17 all over Europe and works really good for me. However, I do all my flying in the Zibo mod meaning I'm only low right after takeoff and before landing.

I do understand how one might want higher resolution when flying low and slow.

Richard Åsberg

Do you use an overlay on the ortho and if so what do you use please?

I've tried the ORBX True Earth but it looks a bit Toy Town to me, my thought was that if I could get ZL20 I would not need anything on top as the quality would be so good on its own.

I do use overlays but only the default found in X-Plane.

Then I got rid of all X-Plane forests as well as the roads to make what you see down there more realistic.

Richard Åsberg