Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

Oversized autogen houses and trees again?

Hey, will FS2020 feature the same ridiculously oversized autogen trees and houses that are present in FSX (and P3D) ?!?!

Please do some actual research, like comparing the real world to the laughable oversized cartoon that is FSX / P3D!

Oversized autogen trees and houses create a false sense of altitude, i.e. you feel you're flying lower than you really are.

In FSX (and P3D) I disable both tree and house autogen because I can't stand flying in a world where houses are the size of "warehouses" and trees are the size of "redwoods",  it's an absolute joke. 

And I've never purchased any 3rd party scenery (like ORBX, except for their "global" series) because there's no point when I'm just going to turn off the autogen.

You'll do your users and 3rd party developers a disservice if you fail to implement properly sized autogen again!

Have a look at the native autogen in X-Plane if you need help understanding what properly sized autogen looks like.

Hoping you don't drop the ball again!

How about responding to this issue now at the early stages of development?

If you got it right this time, can we have a screen shot? Would be most appreciated!

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Matthew S

21 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Oversized autogen trees and houses create a false sense of altitude, i.e. you feel you're flying lower than you really are.

I could not agree more. It also makes you feel like you are flying slower than you actually are. This is one of the main reasons that I switched to X-Plane from P3D and I do have all of the Orbx regions for P3D, which did not help.

I do have much hope that the MFS team will create autogen that will have correct scale and be better than what is currently available by X-Plane.

• Like 2

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Agreed - one of my few remaining gripes with P3D (they've gradually fixed most of what was on my list over time, but unfortunately never this one).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Luke Spencer

39 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

I do have much hope that the MFS team will create autogen that will have correct scale and be better than what is currently available by X-Plane.

I would like to see that too. But credit where credit is due -- the autogen in XP11 is gradually getting better. We now have at least one set of "Euro" (mostly German) autogen buildings in addition to the generic USA ones, and at least one nice free package of country-specific autogen in the Japan Pro scenery. The blue and pink tiled roofs and building shapes really make that country feel "plausible" when flying over it.

Orbx does some nice things with localized autogen in the TE GB scenery, but ideally we shouldn't have to rely on 3rd party addons for localized autogen. At least on a wide area basis. I would love to see orange tiled roofs and galvanized tin roofs in Central and South America for example, if the data is there to support it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The XP autogen is actually slightly too small but its much closer to reality I think.  FSX had oversized autogen for performance and coverage/appearance reasons.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.