Sign in to follow this  
Brianl

Making Windows Mixed Reality Work

Please help.

I've spent the last week trying to break in my new HP Reverb headset. The good news is the Reverb works perfectly in Hill House. Unfortunately I can't use it for the job it was bought for - flying a helicopter in P3D. I've been using P3D successfully for over a year now but nothing has made it possible for me to fly in the Reverb.

Briefly, I've got Windows Mixed Reality working on a monitor and the Reverb, I've installed Steam and SteamVR and I've got the SteamVR plugin as an asset from the Unity Store (whatever that means). So according to web guidance I should be good to go.

But this happens: I turn on the PC then Windows Mixed Reality Portal and I'm in Hill House in the Reverb. Then I turn on Steam and SteamVR. Then I turn on P3D and, as expected, see the Virtual Reality option in the menu bar. I click on that, then Enable virtual reality then select SteamVR. Then I get the message "VRInitError_Init_HmdNotFoundPresenceFailed".

I've gone all around the houses looking for a solution. Tried forums at P3D, Steam,  Unity and Microsoft. No success. So here I am in good old Avsim hoping that you can help me. I can only think of one thing that might be behind this - the SteamVR plugin. It seams to be essential so that P3D can see the Reverb. But although the Unity Asset Store tells me that I own it, I haven't got a clue how to use it or even if it is enabled so that it can do its job.

All I know is that after a fruitless week of investigation I still don't know how to see P3D in my headset. Please can anyone help,  or guide me towards someone who can?

Many thanks,

Brian

Have you loaded from Steam, Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR? Before you start P3D, you should be inside a room that just shows a lot of application lists on the walls. Then start P3D and when you enable SteamVR, you will see your aircraft. You need to select the Virtual Cockpit view. To reset your position, assign a joystick button to HMD Recalibration

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

In my case, I do nothing upfront. I Start up Windows, Fire up P3D, then Activate VR via enable VR with Steam in the native P3D taskbar. The whole Steam VR circus is automaticity starting up with WMR for Steam and the smaller Steam VR window with the settings etc. Reposition the headset view and ready to go.

To fly with P3D in Steam VR you must have the Steam circus correct installed. Technically your set is working because you can see and enter the Microsoft Cliff house but you have a missing link or corrupt piece of software within Steam.

My advice, Uninstall all your Steam software and Re-install again. Pull out the USB-3 Reverb connector and after re-installing Steam, push it in again and wait because your system/steam will automatically install the necessary Steam VR software. 

A last reminder... use a good and powered USB3 port on your PC for connecting the Reverb. There are LOT's of problems with using USB3 brackets who are mostly un-powered.

Happy landings

Thanks both. I'll have a look on the PC tomorrow. Just a quick query before I do. Simba_nl, I don't feel easy about the SteamVR plugin that I believe must be available in "the circus". I got it from the Unity Asset Store but haven't seen any evidence that it's there or installed or ready for action. Do you think it's possible that doing something to " enable" the SteamVR plugin - if it's not in that state now - might solve the problem?

Cheers,

Brian