Sign in to follow this  
portanav

GTX 1080 and FPS problems

I just upgraded from a GTX 1060/6 to a GTX 1080/8 and I am still getting the same low FPS at certain airports, with no improved change. I would think that this upgrade would have given me a substantial improvement in performance; but this did not happen.

Can anyone provide an explanation why. My system runs on an ASUS Z170, i7/6700, 16Gb Ram, 500Gb SSDx2, Win10/64 and the GTX 1080. My FPS normally resides at around 30 fps with slightly above default graphics, world settings in P3Dv4.

It's at (FSDT) KORD, KIAD, (FlyTampa) CYYZ that I get lower FPS. I have tried lowering the graphics settings with only a slight improvement.

Thanks.

CPU intensive airports are the main cause, your videocard while helping somewhat in the frames area is more for making the sim look good to keep the explanation simple.

Did you remove your P3d.cfg and let the sim build a new one as well as delete your shaders before testing out the new card?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

3 hours ago, portanav said:

I just upgraded from a GTX 1060/6 to a GTX 1080/8 and I am still getting the same low FPS at certain airports, with no improved change. I would think that this upgrade would have given me a substantial improvement in performance; but this did not happen.

Can anyone provide an explanation why. My system runs on an ASUS Z170, i7/6700, 16Gb Ram, 500Gb SSDx2, Win10/64 and the GTX 1080. My FPS normally resides at around 30 fps with slightly above default graphics, world settings in P3Dv4.

It's at (FSDT) KORD, KIAD, (FlyTampa) CYYZ that I get lower FPS. I have tried lowering the graphics settings with only a slight improvement.

Thanks.

Are we talking xplane or P3d though it is as stated. Good thing you never got a 2000 series you would of really being disapointed. In simple terms, CPU development has pretty much stalled on the last 7 years or so, so even though they have new one with multi cores, they actually havnt done much in terms of processing speed, even the latest AMD are struggling to get better speed than what we have on 5 year old processes. The other issue is no one seems to really have figured out how to do multi thread really well yet, if the yever do it could make some improvements.

• Like 1

Ha... my bad, so sorry. I didn't even look at what forum it was in. I saw just saw the thread and noticed it was with FSDT scenery and figured it was a usual P3d performance issue.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Ha... my bad, so sorry. I didn't even look at what forum it was in. I saw just saw the thread and noticed it was with FSDT scenery and figured it was a usual P3d performance issue.

Dave, I think the OP is in the wrong forum lol. No reference to X-Plane at all 🙂

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

9 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

CPU intensive airports are the main cause, your videocard while helping somewhat in the frames area is more for making the sim look good to keep the explanation simple.

Did you remove your P3d.cfg and let the sim build a new one as well as delete your shaders before testing out the new card?

Oops, sorry about the forum location. Yes Dave, i sure did. This is with P3Dv4.5/H2, based on the remarks of "mjrheath" would upgrading from my i7/6700 or increasing memory to 32Gb help?

Edited by portanav

2 hours ago, portanav said:

Oops, sorry about the forum location. Yes Dave, i sure did. This is with P3Dv4.5/H2, based on the remarks of "mjrheath" would upgrading from my i7/6700 or increasing memory to 32Gb help?

If you are running out of ram, maybe but CPU speed is the thing here, your CPU is 4 ghz mine is overclocked to 4.6 and you will find many at this and higher as it is where CPU performance is, even the new AMD CPUs are pushing speed limits as all those cores dont do much for performance, its single thread performance and speed, and it was single thread performance where AMD screwed up, but are now catching up to intel. But untill they can break that 5 ghz limit we wont see a big dif between Intel and AMD, they are basically neck and neck now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1