Sign in to follow this  
abranpuko

cloud immersion!

6 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

.  The weather system in the new sim will be second to none.

The depiction of clouds is not the weather system. We don’t know much yet  on the weather system except it will be real time. Just for these pretty nice clouds, will the proper clouds will placed where they should be, will we have intense turbulences within storm clouds, icing and rain in clouds etc.?  Also, more generally, will the source be only METAR or denser networks of meteorological stations, how the sim will handle passing from one meteo zone to another etc. ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 10/5/2019 at 3:07 AM, domkle said:

The depiction of clouds is not the weather system. We don’t know much yet  on the weather system except it will be real time. Just for these pretty nice clouds, will the proper clouds will placed where they should be, will we have intense turbulences within storm clouds, icing and rain in clouds etc.?  Also, more generally, will the source be only METAR or denser networks of meteorological stations, how the sim will handle passing from one meteo zone to another etc. ? 

Actually we do know more, you just need to watch the interviews.  They address almost everything you mention.  Take the time and watch.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

44 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Actually we do know more, you just need to watch the interviews.  They address almost everything you mention.  Take the time and watch.

It seems I missed one... thanks.

PS I don't se anything about the inside of clouds in the two FS Elite interviews. WHich one are you refering to ?

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

theres a video by "Squirrel" that should be watched.  he mentions that clouds in a given layer are formed from the humidity and pressure in that layer [some assumptions made on my part -- eg he didnt say "in that layer"].  This gives me great hope for the final product.  This is all 'pre alpha' stuff and they were in depth at that time.

MS Flight had the 'clouds whipping past the cockpit' effect so I suspect it will be in the new sim as well.  If they can do it then then why not now?

As for cloud types/colors/appearance...I want to wait and see it as I fly.  It already looks really nice and apparently we have only seen a few static weather themes.  One of the videos mentions up to 60 layers of clouds I think it was and 32 layers of something ...dont remember... but with an intelligent AI in charge, I suspect and hope that we will see more and more varied weather appearances.

BTW - for sheer fun, watch the first video by Chewwy94 -- his first video is just real life takeoff from London and landing in Seattle and the clouds at landing are gorgeous! start at 10:45 on part one

Edited by sightseer
  • Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

Looking for that Squirrel guy  I've never heard of ! So many YT to watch, it is exhausting 😃 !

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Watched it, this is the best vid seen so far. The guy obviously took a lot of notes, speaks quietly and is very articulate.

Something which still unclear are the in-cloud nasty turbulences.

• Like 1

Dominique

9 minutes ago, domkle said:

Watched it, this is the best vid seen so far. The guy obviously took a lot of notes, speaks quietly and is very articulate.

Something which still unclear are the in-cloud nasty turbulences.

Well if their whole sky and environment model is what they say it is with everything affecting everything and in turn being affected by everything (aircraft and clouds are bound to the same law and also affect each other), then I suppose we will just might as well get those in-cloud turbulences, which is something I am also very much hoping for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OSJJ1985 said:

Well if their whole sky and environment model is what they say it is with everything affecting everything and in turn being affected by everything (aircraft and clouds are bound to the same law and also affect each other), then I suppose we will just might as well get those in-cloud turbulences, which is something I am also very much hoping for.

I believe too but I look forward to a preview from somebody actually flying into such a cloud 😉.

Dominique

28 minutes ago, domkle said:

I believe too but I look forward to a preview from somebody actually flying into such a cloud 😉.

Trust me... I am just as anxious as you are about this ;-). For me the natural forces of the in-cloud immersion are just as (if not even more so) relevant as the visual sensation.

Edited by OSJJ1985

9 minutes ago, OSJJ1985 said:

Trust me... I am just as anxious as you are about this ;-). For me the natural forces of the in-cloud immersion are just as (if not even more so) relevant as the visual sensation.

I liked when the Asobo guy said they discovered that the weather was not just a theater/movie set for the sim to look nice (he looked for his word, using the word décor then decoration but it is what he meant) but another world to recreate on top of the ground world.

• Like 1

Dominique