Sign in to follow this  
Claviateur

Dynamic Seasons demo (in XP11 with XE Plugin)

On 11/2/2019 at 9:05 PM, TravelRunner404 said:

I am curious how they will handle the photogrammetry trees.  It seems those will be difficult to remove leaves from...then again maybe with seasons on, those trees would turn to autogen? Seems like there would be a solution.

Shouldn't they have demonstrated that they can solve this problem first before you can be curious about how they solved it! 😜

3 hours ago, Bottle said:

If I understand the information we’ve been given so far, the trees are generated procedurally. The only information downloaded will be placement and general type of tree to draw (i.e., which procedure to follow). So it should be a piece of cake to generate any type of tree you want. Thus, a relatively simple approach would be to consult the date of the flight and then via a small look up table, draw trees of appropriate shade, or even without leaves for deciduous species. Snow effects could also be added. The challenge I think would be to blend changes geographically so as to avoid sudden sharp changes through the latitudinal dimension.

Tricky. So the 15 trillion trees of various types then yes, they just provide variations were applicable and render them procedurally, fine. However I've seen photogrammetry trees which look absolutely horrible and what appears to be artist created trees in some of the photogrametry places. I might be wrong but central park in NYC looks like proceduarally placed trees created from an artist but the tall trees around the space needle in seatle look classic photogrammetry.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, dtrjones said:

Tricky. So the 15 trillion trees of various types then yes, they just provide variations were applicable and render them procedurally, fine. However I've seen photogrammetry trees which look absolutely horrible and what appears to be artist created trees in some of the photogrametry places. I might be wrong but central park in NYC looks like proceduarally placed trees created from an artist but the tall trees around the space needle in seatle look classic photogrammetry.

True, but all photogrametry 3D will not look clean and sharp and will be more or less like Google Earth when seen from low altitude (trees and human made infrastructure etc.) 

So perhaps they did not finish implementing the procedural trees on the photogrammetry covered areas yet, or, perhaps, they will implement them strategically (i.e: in some specific areas). 

But I think, to do so, and I can only guess, they need to analyze the location of trees on the photogrammetry and then flatten these areas where trees are extruded, then place the procedural ones...

Or, maybe it's a very complex task or not too precise or accurate hence the strategic placement as we saw in the videos...

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

On 11/3/2019 at 4:17 AM, tonywob said:

Pretty insulting don't you think? This one guy, despite having a sim that doesn't give enough access has managed to code some of the best looking clouds in any sim (and not just 2D textures). It's a comparison between a single coder and a team of 100s of people and practically unlimited budget.. Pretty impressive to me

They should hire him , seriously   

I would predict most of this is worked out server side.

The ai calculations on the world are not done on the fly, they are all pre calculated.

The world has already been calculated based off Bing and other data.  There is a giant online database which stores all this information.  The sim basically queries the database for local objects, textures and the like.  The beauty of this, is Asobo can update any areas on the fly or make modifications to it.

The best way for them to do it would be to rebuild the world in 4 seasons.  Rather than applying shaders and adding snow or changing texture colours from green grass to brown grass etc on the pc end, I reckon they will recalculate the textures and objects in there database for the 4 seasons.  Then if they manually touch up errors everyone's SIM will get these changes

It was also stated in an interview yesterday people can download any areas they want in the highest level of detail (depending on available hard drive space)  and if I recall correctly there will be up to 40? Different levels of detail that the sim will switch on the fly to keep frame rates good And if there are issues with downloading scenery at a steady rate.