Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v3 crash but no Event Viewer entry

On 2/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m happy to report the cause has been found and fixed. Last Friday Andrew Wilson at FSL recommended I uninstall GSX and SODE. Instead of uninstalling them I foolishly just disabled the two processes from running in the EXE.XML thinking it was the same.

But the CTDs persisted. Lefteris reminded me this morning that it was almost certainly scenery related as the CTDs happened at specific locations. So today I uninstalled both and a message appeared twice during the GSX uninstall stating default files would be restored.

Clearly that was the critical thing because two flights since were error free. Two benefits to this approach rather than the wipe and reinstall option. 1) loads of time saved and 2) the problem application has been identified.

A salutary lesson even to this old hand. I was barking up the wrong tree because of a coincidence. So even when you install a clean P3D do not forget any add-ons as those could be the cause.

I'd forward this to FSDT and SODE developers.

Where you using the new v1.6.6 version of SODE?

Version 1.6.6
  • General
    • Fixed wrong page number display in the text menu
    • Fixed application crash when an (illegal) 5-letter ICAO airport designator was detected
    • Fixed handling of relative SimObject folders in add-on.xml, where the folder is defined just by its raw name and not with ‘.\’
  • Jetway Control System
    • Fixed bug where SODE to GSX communication was lost when GSX resets the jetway while it was still moving
  • VDGS
    • Changed the way how the aircraft type is detected. Now only the ICAO type designator in the aircraft.cfg is relevant.
Edited by udidwht

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

1 minute ago, udidwht said:

I'd forward this to FSDT and SODE developers.

I suspect it was a FSDT GSX file and did contact Umberto about it. He didn't seem bothered. Doubt SODE was to blame but no way of checking now.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather