Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

I'm done

neslesman,I am so happy for you. You hit the nail on the head. What you are doing is great. FS9 is a great place to start... so you don't have to deal with the teething problems. FS9 is a matured and stable product with plenty of freebies and cheap but great addons.BTW... I used to be obssed with Golf too. When I started, I took lessons and wanted to break 80 in 2 years. :( But I almost did in 3 years. The best I have done in Golf was an 82 in Tucson, Randolf golf Course. I was absolutley enthralled with it.. Addict you may say...,, Until...I took up real flying in Oct 2004. I have been flying Flight sim on and off... But at the fag end of FS2002, I got fascinated with Navigation and VORs and ILS and what not... and after reading so much about it.. I took up real flying...and I am obsessed with simming even more.I am very susceptible to addiction. Thank God, it has been Music, Golf and Flying/Simming. :(And if you are looking for a good place to start on the Topic of Navigation.http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/basic-nav-general.htm?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I just read in another thread some disturbing news. It appears that FSX will not run on the 25MHz 386SX laptop I bought in 1992. Plus, my beer is gone. That's it, I quit.Bob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Was on my way back from the kitchen with another beer, with every intent to delete FS from my HDD forever. Saw my wife and told her I just quit simming. She was elated...asked if that meant we'd be spending more time together.Anybody know how well FSX works with dual monitors?Bob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest neslesman

LMAO at Bob Scott.Manny I deleted my paragraph about FS9 probably being the catalyst that will get me into a classroom and into the cockpit (with instructor) of a real aircraft. It's an unfulfilled wish that's been lying dormant in the back of my brain for ever and all it took was FS9 to make me realize that it's something I must do on this planet while I still can.Now if I can only figure out how to get in a few hours of skiing, a few hours of sailing in our beautiful Vancouver harbour, nine holes of golf, a few circuits around a nearby airport in my Beachcraft Bonanza and top it all off with a great dinner and show all in the same day, I know I will be a happy man.

>LMAO at Bob Scott.>>Manny I deleted my paragraph about FS9 probably being the>catalyst that will get me into a classroom and into the>cockpit (with instructor) of a real aircraft. It's an>unfulfilled wish that's been lying dormant in the back of my>brain for ever and all it took was FS9 to make me realize that>it's something I must do on this planet while I still can.>>Now if I can only figure out how to get in a few hours of>skiing, a few hours of sailing in our beautiful Vancouver>harbour, nine holes of golf, a few circuits around a nearby>airport in my Beachcraft Bonanza and top it all off with a>great dinner and show all in the same day, I know I will be a>happy man.Here is the deal.. Weather to take up real flying or not is a big decision. No doubt.But just taking an instructor with you and flying around for an hr or two and logging that in a real pilot Log book need not be a hard decision.You don't have to go all the way. ITs not all of it or none of it. I know someone who took lessons until he was capable of flying solo and then never did after. But that experience is something IMO.I would have prefered that to not having flown on the left seat at all.Even now, for me, I don't know how long my medical will last. If I lose my 3rd class medical.. I'll just have to take another pilot with me... and I'll still fly.There are many who can't afford flying lessons to get a PPSEL. But why not spend $100-110 for an hr ...and just fly once. It'll make your simming even more fun. I would think.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Jimbofly

A slight stutter and you're done? Did I read that correctly??Every game I've ever brought that was just released had to be run with graphic settings fairly low. It's the nature of the beast. I for one am glad MS decided to push the envelope. To me that means we've got better graphics, a better flight engine, more prospects for more creative addon software, a better experience.btw here's a news flash: In a couple of years FSX will be running on the latest rigs at least as well if not better as FS9 runs on the latest rigs these days. Don't believe me? Do some research on upcoming hardware developments in CPUs and GPUs.James

Guest Hugo

Hi Bob,There are few other things and good times that one can get from FS.Scenery, aircraft, panel design. Online flying with a buddy or with other at dedicated FSHost sites for example. I'm retired too and single. I enjoy simple scenery design mostly for myself and do some online flying with a group of friends of my area (Quebec) and also an other friend in France that can't join our group due to time laps. He'd have to do it btw 3 and 4-5 am his time to join us at 8 pm ours :-). We even flown in pilot-co-pilot mode using the then free gates.to addon and flew the aeropostale route (Toulouse, Fr - Santiago, Chile) in 1 to 1 1/2 hour flight laps. Very relax sessions, not too tight on procedures and regulation ;-)I got to know him through Avsim a couple years ago, became good buddies. We met twice as I came to Montreal. Now I'm going to visit him for 2 weeks at the end of this month.For scenery design, a simple freeware tool like EOD, with a relativaly easy learning curve, provides enough to make quite interresting sceneries that, as far as I know, would still be usable with FSX even if it's scasm compiled! So maybe you should give a look to some of these FS offsprings before letting go.Have it good,Hugo

Guest jboweruk

I don't think you read between the lines. He is saying the odd stutter was okay, but lately he has neither the time nor inclination to put up with it, he's not getting the joy out of flying that he used to and the the stutters and blurries have become more of an irritation than ever for him.I know where he's coming from, I've been through a rough patch myself lately, a broken heart, depression setting in, my computer deciding to crash completely. So FS has fallen off a bit lately, that said though I'm hoping to build my new rig today, arranged to leave work early so I can get it done. I've been playing 18WOS:PTTM and Convoy of late, but just the last week or so I've been listening to my mp3's while driving and the sunsets have me hankering to get back in the sky again. So the next few days will likely be spent setting up 3 pc's on a network, re-installing all my software that I need/want and of course putting most of my FS9 back on. By Sunday I should be ready to start flying again I hope. Maybe even sooner but we'll have to see. Then of course around this time next week FSX comes out on general release, and maybe once I've installed that I'll be too busy to feel depressed any more.So to the guy leaving us, don't give it up altogether, hang around the forums from time to time, keep up with what goes on, take time out to rest from FS for a while. It did me the world of good, and who knows, you may find one day you'll pick up FS again and really enjoy it. FSX is going to cost me >

Bob,I notice that you have 1609 post's.To say that 'your done' is a joke!Suddenly your going to stop flying, stop reading and writing post's in the forum and your going to start doing something else?There's an old saying that goes like this................."You can fool some of the people some of the time but,not all of the people all of the time"Flight Simulation is addictive and there's no cure for it Bob. :-lol :-halo :-spacecraft

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Tingoose

You got a point there Dave. As I told you a couple of weeks ago, I was done too!! Uninstalled everything, have more time etc etc, but I continue to visit and contribute to this forum! However I don't envisage reinstalling in the near furure. Conclusion: Clearly I enjoy the forum more than the 'game'!! Perverse but true!:+

Guest bobsk8

>Bob,>>I notice that you have 1609 post's.>>To say that 'your done' is a joke!>>Suddenly your going to stop flying, stop reading and writing>post's in the forum and your going to start doing something>else?>>There's an old saying that goes like this.................>>"You can fool some of the people some of the time but,>not all of the people all of the time">>Flight Simulation is addictive and there's no cure for it Bob.>:-lol :-halo :-spacecraft Actually this thread opener was my first post in about 6 months I believe. I was reading about the Airbus delay and that was what prompted me to pay a visit here, and start reading about FSX. I started reading the exact same comments and concerns that were rampant during the early days of FS9. Frame Rate problems, no good ATC, lack of good aircraft without bugs, blurries, stutters, upgrading even late model computers for acceptable performance. It was like Deja Vu all over again. I started thinking about the hours and hours and hours that I played with the settings in FS9, and buying , installing and tweaking add-ons, learning new aircraft, debugging sceneries..etc..etc..... and I thought to myself, I just can't go there again. The thought of it made my hair hurt ;) !!!!The first thing I think of now is that I could be walking or playing with my dog, recording a new demo CD, writing a song, or booking a music job with the many, many hours that I was spending on FS9. If I new that FSX could be installed and would work like it is supposed to without the glitches and CTD's it would be one thing, but I also know that is a pipe dream that probably won't happen. I also know that the PC I have now, which works great for everything I do on it, is not going to be retired and replaced so I can go from 10 FPS in KBOS to 14.....Some commented that " He will be back". I don't think so, because I haven't been tempted in the slightest over this last 1/2 year. A few others made comments like why did I bother to post this in the first place. Well, almost 2000 viewers in a couple of days, shows me, that it was probably a topic that people on this forum were interested in reading, so why not. I think it is only polite after being very active in this forum for a years, that an explanation is in order. I knew there would be a few people, ( the members that always seem to be a bit on edge, have their shorts in a wad, and quick to jump on someone else that they disagree with ) to make some negative and rude comments. That always happens here, and always will, those people will probably never change. They are legends in their own minds. So I wish everyone luck with FSX, and enjoy the flying.

Guest david W.

Glad to see you back so soon.>I started thinking about the hours and hours and>hours that I played with the settings in FS9, and buying ,>installing and tweaking add-ons, learning new aircraft,>debugging sceneries..etc..etc..... and I thought to myself, I>just can't go there again. The thought of it made my hair>hurt ;) !!!!Sounds like you had a terrible time with FS9. I on the other hand thoroughly enjoyed all of the time I spent with FS2004 (and FS2002 before that). Now FSX will be even better. And there is virtually nothing in FSX that will be any worse than it was in FS9. Only the same or better. And you don't have to install any add-ons if you find it a pain. Just fly it out the box.

>Now FSX will be even better. And there is virtually nothing in>FSX that will be any worse than it was in FS9.Unless you want to actually use something like autogen. I don't know on which experience you base your opinion but based on my personal experience with Demo2 on serveral perfectly good FS9 'game' PC's I can tell you that autogen is worse in FS-X. Doesn't make any difference if you go for the lowest possible autogen setting either. It just slows your FPS to a crawl and flying above a forest you get spectacular looking stutters...Now I 'hope' this only happens in Demo2 or that this issue will be patched ASAP. But until now there is no better performance in FS-X for me.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest david W.

You are confusing features with performance.Performance with a brand new Flight Sim on an older computer will always be an issue. Autogen as a feature however is far better in FSX than it was in FS9. Better looking trees, far more tree types, denser trees, forest,more buildings etc. Everyone agrees, the trees in the demo do seem to have an added hit on framerates on current hardware. As someone mentioned, the demo has a lot of mixed tree types which could be part of the problem, whereas in the final release most areas will have fewer tree types together at once, which should help.When FS9 was first released, the improved clouds was the feature that knocked the frame rates on current hardware at the time.