Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Front Panel Connectors on Asus Maximus IX Hero

How is that different from the bootable USB drive that I have already created?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

30 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

How is that different from the bootable USB drive that I have already created?

Okay then, Christopher go with that if you want to. I was only trying to help.

Sorry, Rick. I think you took that the wrong way! I just wanted to know the difference between the two methods.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Good Morning Christopher. Nay, I did not take it the wrong way. As I was not 100% sure if you had my suggestion of an ISO file in that bootable USB stick of yours, or not, hence I opted for a safety benefit of doubt and agreed you try your way. I/We are here to to help you get over that line.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, Christopher Low said:

I unplugged the DVD SATA connection, and then tested each of the RAM sticks in each of the RAM slots. Rather random results to be honest, apart from a suspicion that RAM Channel 3 (B1) may possibly have an issue (but even that is inconclusive). One thing is certain though......the PC failed to boot from that USB stick (which boots to the initial Windows 10 setup screen without any problems in my existing PC) with any of the single RAM sticks in any of the RAM Channels.

Would these rather inconsistent results point to a power issue? I guess even one of the power cables could be dodgy?

I am going to look for a replacement CMOS battery today. I will need to remove the graphics card to get at it though :dry:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boladge-Detection-Display-Computer-Supply/dp/B073M2FFJ4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=PSU+tester&qid=1577706176&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExT0k1M0I3MkY3QTQzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDg5NDQ5MTAzTEw4TjQzVjBPMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjIxODM4MUhaSFVGQTJENTJSQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Well worth having a PSU tester handy. I have had mine for a few years. Easy way to test PSU. Wont tell you what it does under load, but will highlight major PSU issues. Only 8 quid. 

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Sorry, Rick. I think you took that the wrong way! I just wanted to know the difference between the two methods.

Have you tried plugging your W10 bootable USB stick into a different USB socket. Perhaps one at the back of the PC. 

Don't hesitate to try different cables if you have any spare. DON'T USE PSU CABLES FROM A DIFFERENT PSU though. As the pin-outs will be different and can cause damage. 

If you have any spare components in your old PC that you can swap out, try that. Best way to track down faulty components. 

I have just checked the G.Skill website, and note that the only Asus motherboard with a Z270 chipset that is stated as compatible with the Trident Z RGB DDR4-4266 RAM that I have installed is the Asus Maximus IX Apex (I have a Maximus IX Hero). I wonder if that could be significant....

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1536657871/F4-4266C19D-16GTZR-Qvl

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

@Christopher Low

Chris... what are you trying to install W10 on to? A brand new (empty) mechanical HDD? A brand new (empty) SSD? A new NVME drive?

Is there a different drive you can temporarily install/connect to your new PC and install Windows 10 on. If successful you can RMA the new/faulty drive.  Don't worry about installing W10 on a different drive temporarily, its not an issue and doesn't need to be activated for the test.

If when you install the new drive again W10 doesn't activate, a simple call to MS does the trick.  

That would be assuming that the hard disk that I have already installed is faulty. For the record, this was the second 2TB drive in my existing PC (which I performed a quick format on, and then removed).

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have just checked the G.Skill website, and note that the only Asus motherboard with a Z270 chipset that is stated as compatible with the Trident Z RGB DDR4-4266 RAM that I have installed is the Asus Maximus IX Apex (I have a Maximus IX Hero). I wonder if that could be significant....

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1536657871/F4-4266C19D-16GTZR-Qvl

Possibly. The max frequency RAM for your board is 4133 MHz. Having said that, it will run at the much lower JADEC frequency prior to setting XMP in the BIOS. So should run anyway, at least initially. Unless there's some other kind of parameter that isnt compatible with the BIOS the board came with. Which is why you SHOULD update the BIOS before doing anything!

Have you selected XMP in the BIOS before trying to install Windows? If yes, reset BIOS to default.

Again... have you updated the BIOS?

Edited by martin-w

To try.

1. Will Windows install on a different CLEAN drive?

2. Have you tried replacing the devices SATA power cable and SATA data cable. (I once has similar issues with a SATA cable)

3. Are you running the latest BIOS? (There are a multitude of updates released to fix issues with new boards) 

4. Is the BIOS set to optimised defaults? (Not XMP)

5. Have you tried installing Windows from your bootable USB but from a different USB socket? 

6. Have you tested the PSU with a PSU tester? 

7. Have you tried downloading Bootable W10 onto a completely different USB stick? It must have more than 8 gigabyte capacity?

Edited by martin-w

1. I do not have another CLEAN drive without wiping the C drive in my existing PC....and that would leave me without a PC at all until this has been sorted.

2. I have changed SATA cables for the DVD drive and hard disk, but probably not the power cables.

3. I have version 1.203 of the BIOS installed, but the latest version is 1.301. It looks like I will need to do this, but I have never flashed the BIOS before! Is it straightforward?

4. The BIOS is set to optimised defaults.

5. I have tested the bootable USB drive in a front USB2 port, front USB3 port, and rear USB2 port. The results were the same.

6. I have not tested the PSU.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

3. I have version 1.203 of the BIOS installed, but the latest version is 1.301. It looks like I will need to do this, but I have never flashed the BIOS before! Is it straightforward?

There are a number of ways to flash the BIOS. Within the BIOS there is a feature with Asus boards that enable you to do so via the internet. Some frown upon this method, but I've done it several times without issue. As long as you have a stable internet connection I don't see it as an issue. And Asus wouldn't include it if there was any additional risk. It's the easiest way for a beginner to flash the BIOS. 

Its in "tools" in the BIOS. See your motherboard manual for further methods and instructions.