Sign in to follow this  
Guest FxF3

Had to see it for myself! FSX -- WOW!

Guest Sabadin

>AA: handled by my video card at 6x>Resolution at 1900x1200>AF: 16x HQAFI can see a problem right there. Might I suggest dropping AA to 2sx ror and AF to 4x HQ or 16x non-HQ, should free up a lot more headroom at that resolution. Helped a lot for my 1900XT and I only run 1280x1024 (native res.)

Guest Jimbofly

The brain processes visual information about 25 times a second, so you "see" the world around you at about 25fps.The reason you can notice much higher framerates and everything appears so smooth is twofold:1. Motion blurBecause each frame is blurred into the next, it gives the illusion of perfect smootheness. I read about this in a scientific article, and is quite an interesting read!2. ConsitencyIn most 3D games, frames are not perfectly consistent. One second you may be getting 40fps, the next 35. The way you see the world is a perfectly consistent "framerate" of about 25fps.James

>My point was that expecting to push the sliders all the way to>the right is like trying to turn your amp up to 11.LOL! Tom, that comment brought to mind an incident that occurred many years ago when I was working at Music Mart in Kannapolis, NC as Manager of the repair department.A kid's parents bought him a nice Fender bass guitar and amp for Christmas. Three days after Christmas the kid and his parents were back in the store whining about the blown speaker in the amp......until I pointed out the big WARNING on the manual... "Do not use full volume on this amp unless you have auxilary speakers plugged into the appropriate jacks. Failure to follow this warning will result in damage to the internal speaker." :-lol As I stated earlier today, FSX is like a prize-winning rose; the fullest experience is to watch the rose slowly unfold from the bud to it's full, glorious beauty. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I also wouldn't expect a new product to keep the menu bar>constantly in your face (why?)Press and HOLD the Alt key for 2 seconds to hide the upper menu bar......it's in the Learning Center, you know... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

DirectX 10 is not even likely to ship with Vista, if memory serves; it will be offered as a patch after Vista's release. The release candidate definately does not have DX 10.-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!BOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723HC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre, go aheadBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723 has a message for youHC: British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, Heathrow Centre is ready to copy messageBOAC: Heathrow Centre, British Airways Speedbird Flight 723, message is as follows: Mayday, Mayday, Mayday ....

I'll paraphrase it one last time: FSX out of the box showing notably lower performance than FS9 did out of the box on hardware of the respective day. We will conquer and overcome I'm sure, but for me this has tripped my "something's not right" trigger. Everyone's trigger point is different, but it seems much more trippable with a broad spread of the community with this release, newbies and hard core users alike.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Frustrated yet? That's ok, you can come and drink beer with me. I get the same thing and my system has better graphics with lower cpu clock. Guess it levels out. cheers

>>It is such a laugh to hear people still complaining about>>their FPS. Get a life (or a state-of-the-art new computer)>>dammit.>>Not to nit pick, but the author of this thread has a very high>end system which puts him in the top 5% of all the PC's out>there on the planet right now.>>If HE is having problems, then the other 95% of machines are>going to be in perma-nap land.>>I would prefer people tell the truth about what is happening>instead of postulate on some future fantasy that might come>along and make some magical difference that once again will>cause the 95% of the market to have to run out and spend $2500>on a new computer system only to find out that the magic pill>folks were talking out of their arses as usual and it makes no>difference at all.>>Been there too many times with the forum "fluffer" boys. Post>a screen shot that disproves the complaint or keep your>"fluff" to yourself.You are my hero for saying that. Thank you

30 FPS is acceptable for flight sims, especially a civilian flight sim.You obviously play games. Most simmers, I suspect, do not.I think that screenshot on the Cray :) is very good.

Guest FxF3

Just a thought maybe FSX hates dualcore cpu's seems like people with single core cpus are getting better FSP. It seems though that rant threads get much more time then help threads some guy's can post help or tweaks it gets 2 or 3 pages then comes along a rant thread it will get 20 pages. This is Deja vu all over FS9 was treated the same way. Now its called by the same ones who complained before the best FS ever.If you will use your sliders you can get FSX to work well on your computer. If you dont it want. Also some comman sense might help no new high tech sim is going to work with all the settings on high, its built to grow.

>FSX ... son of FS2K :-eekMy above remark was over-the-top. FS2000 was much worse, to the point of being unflyable on my PC!

Guest hasemike

>If you will use your sliders you can get FSX to work well on>your computer. If you dont it want. Also some comman sense>might help no new high tech sim is going to work with all the>settings on high, its built to grow.FSX is not build to grow and that's exactly the problem :- Shader model 2.0 is hardly used let alone 3.0- Mostly single threaded 1 core useAs both Amd and Intel are on the road to more and more cores instead of more mhz, fsx will not benefit. Today already fsx uses only 50% of my available cpu power. Next year with quad cores that will shrink to 25%. I do not see a bright future for this sim unless MS really redesigns the complete sim to use multi cores and the capabilities of the graphics cards. Can't see why they decided to go with yesterdays hardware and producing a yesterday's game just for the sake of compatibility.