Sign in to follow this  
JDHI

CTD P3D v4.5

System:    new Alienware Aurora RX9 (I7-9700K @3.6, 16Gb RAM,   nVidia RTX2070S 8GB GDDR6)

Add ons:   Active Sky for P3Dv4     

I fly:  PMDG 777-200   and  a MilViz Cessna 310

I optimized my graphics card for performance per nVidia recommendations.    I have not tried overclocking.

My problem:     I CTD via the "ntdll.dll" failure again and again.   I delete P3D.cfg and accept the default recommendations, but it still CTD's.    It's not every time, but I bet 7 of 10 is close.   

It's quite frustrating to see videos on YouTube of folks with settings max'd.   Even the guys posting the settings guides frequently have everything max'd.   Heck the guide provided here on site has higher settings.   My default settings per P3D.cfg are quite modest, but still I frequently CTD.   Good old "ntdll.dll" nailed me again tonight KDFW - KSFO

At least for P3D, is my system regarded "high end"?

More RAM??

Any thoughts appreciated.

I am stuck.  

Thanks

Jim Hillman

Looks like this post may solve your issue. Rename .DLL XML files in appdata roaming and scenery config.

I can confirm by simply renaming the xml’s (both of them) to “off,” and letting them rebuild has solved ALL CTD’s for me. I haven’t been able to figure out what module caused it but now my new default xml renamed itself to “acexml,” what it means I have no clue but the CTD’s are gone so I won’t complain about a weird fix, fixing the problem lol. 

On 1/16/2020 at 7:44 PM, JDHI said:

System:    new Alienware Aurora RX9 (I7-9700K @3.6, 16Gb RAM,   nVidia RTX2070S 8GB GDDR6)

Add ons:   Active Sky for P3Dv4     

I fly:  PMDG 777-200   and  a MilViz Cessna 310

I optimized my graphics card for performance per nVidia recommendations.    I have not tried overclocking.

My problem:     I CTD via the "ntdll.dll" failure again and again.   I delete P3D.cfg and accept the default recommendations, but it still CTD's.    It's not every time, but I bet 7 of 10 is close.   

It's quite frustrating to see videos on YouTube of folks with settings max'd.   Even the guys posting the settings guides frequently have everything max'd.   Heck the guide provided here on site has higher settings.   My default settings per P3D.cfg are quite modest, but still I frequently CTD.   Good old "ntdll.dll" nailed me again tonight KDFW - KSFO

At least for P3D, is my system regarded "high end"?

More RAM??

Any thoughts appreciated.

I am stuck.  

Thanks

Jim Hillman

Rename both “dll.xml’s,” in the program dats and appdata/roaming/ Lockheed Martin to dll.off then restart P3D and test it. I have almost the same system as you and am getting 40-60 FPS anywhere with sliders almost maxed out. 

Hi Scott     I renamed the files to "dll.off" and turned up my sim to higher settings.    Two successful flights with no CTD, but on flight 3, it crashed.    I checked the files and sure enough, the P3D app had rebuilt both dll's.   So I tried "acexml" and that didn't work.    P3D ignored it and built a new dll.  I then tried "dll.old", but same result.

I think you're right about those two files.    I have no idea what to do next.   If I just delete them, P3D will rebuild them.    

Jim

1 hour ago, JDHI said:

If I just delete them, P3D will rebuild them.  

P3D creates a new default dll.xml.  It does not rebuild them.  Rebuilding them would be with all of the add-on modules.  As stated in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, there are two dll.xml's in P3D.  The default is located in the same folder as the scenery.cfg.  The old default (and still used) is located in the same folder as the P3D.cfg.  This one WILL NOT be created when you restart P3D.  I do not know about any acexml.  Renaming the dll.xml to dll.off disables the dll so the modules cannot be loaded.  If you had two successful flights with no CTD after renaming the dll.xml to dll.off, then you most likely have an issue with an add-on.  Another possibility is a corrupted dll.xml as it must be coded properly and some add-ons create corruption.  If you download and install Lorby_Si's Add-on Organizer, it has a tool that checks your .xml files to see if there is any corruption and sometimes fixes the corruption.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I downloaded and installed the Add on Organizer suggested.    All my scenery files including MyTraffic6 were highlighted in green.     I noticed it didn't include my aircraft (PMDG 777 and MilViz Cessna 310).    I also use Active Sky for P3Dv4.    I know my PMDG model is designed for P3Dv3, 32bit,  and v4, being a 64bit design....   might that be an issue?    I went to the PMDG store and the new one for v4 is the same 32bit I already had, so I am using it.

One curiosity with the Add on Organizer is it finds a script error in the PData/LM/P3Dv4/add-ons.cfg folder.   I checked and that folder is empty.    I deleted the folder and P3D made a new one.   Same error again.     I have no idea.

Best

Jim

12 hours ago, JDHI said:

I noticed it didn't include my aircraft (PMDG 777 and MilViz Cessna 310).    I also use Active Sky for P3Dv4.    I know my PMDG model is designed for P3Dv3, 32bit,  and v4, being a 64bit design....   might that be an issue?

The Add-on Organizer uses the P3D SDK to organize scenery.  It does not include aircraft or programs that would not be normally included in the scenery.cfg.  PMDG has two different versions of the 777 - one for 32 bit apps like P3DV3/FSX and one for P3DV4 only.  The P3DV4 64-bit version will not work in any 32-bit application.  Completely different.  Do not try to use the 32-bit version in P3DV4.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Big thanks to you guys for your thoughts.    So far, so good the majority of the time.    Jim may be right in one of my airplane add ons.      I'll check that out with a new airplane designed specifically for P3Dv4.5

Best 

Jim