Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Runway take off

So i am on the active runway with my Cessna and when i start to roll... the plane starts veering towards the right instead of going straight ahead...so annoying!...

Any tips suggestions as for why this might be happening...and a possible solution?...

Thanks.

Torque from the propeller, prevailing wind - bit of a crosswind component?? All single engined propeller driven planes will veer to one side or the other. In fact it is rumoured that powerful old warbirds like the Spitfire and Mustang will flip over on their backs if you slam the throttle wide open thanks to the torque reaction of the huge supercharged V12 powerplants..

I don't know what setup you have, but if you have rudder pedals or a twist grip on the joystick then you need to use them, or at least tap the rudder key(s) on the keyboard.

Hope this helps :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Reduce the wind speed to zero. Then if it doesn't happen then you know it was the crosswind component. I presume this was happening on just this new flight?

No, my guess is that its FSUIPC.

Make sure, since your flying a very small air frame, that you go into the settings that correlate to wind effecting your aircraft. I think its "Wind Smoothing" but I may be wrong. Had similar experiences where a 757, and or larger, was similarly blown to one side or the other due to what your describing. Try this. If it doesn't help I'll look further into this for you. Rest assure its a known issue and can be remedied.

Mitch

On 1/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, Captain747 said:

So i am on the active runway with my Cessna and when i start to roll... the plane starts veering towards the right instead of going straight ahead...so annoying!...

Any tips suggestions as for why this might be happening...and a possible solution?...

Looks like you have a significant crosswind from the right.

With no wind she shouldn't go straight either, due the various moments she should actually turn to the left.

4 hours ago, PebbleBeach said:

Had similar experiences where a 757, and or larger, was similarly blown to one side or the other due to what your describing.  Rest assure its a known issue and can be remedied.

The 757 has a large tail and weathervanes like other aircraft. No 'issue' IMO.

5 hours ago, FDEdev said:

The 757 has a large tail and weathervanes like other aircraft. No 'issue' IMO.

Your referencing the real aircraft in the real world. I m referencing unrealistic gaming  conditions which FSUIPC has a specific function to correct. I do not know for sure if this is the gentlemen’s problem or not. If it is, this issuer has been known for years and is exactly why Pete Dowson added the ability to dampen these unrealistic winds.

20 minutes ago, PebbleBeach said:

Your referencing the real aircraft in the real world. I m referencing unrealistic gaming  conditions which FSUIPC has a specific function to correct. I do not know for sure if this is the gentlemen’s problem or not. If it is, this issuer has been known for years and is exactly why Pete Dowson added the ability to dampen these unrealistic winds.

Just looked on the FSUIPC webpage what this function does, and I don't see anything related to the above mentioned issue.  To me it seems that FSUIPC smoothes out sharp gusts and shears, which mainly occur at high altitude and agreed, these 100kts instant shears are not very realistic. It doesn't do anything with e.g. a steady xwnd.

But during takeoff/landing I've never noticed any 'isssue' with any aircraft in FSX/P3D. Haven't used fs9 since many years but I doubt that the wind simulation is significantly different.

Edited by FDEdev

I concur. I believe that FSUIPC's wind smoothing function is for those high altitude winds.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Just looked on the FSUIPC webpage what this function does, and I don't see anything related to the above mentioned issue.  To me it seems that FSUIPC smoothes out sharp gusts and shears, which mainly occur at high altitude and agreed, these 100kts instant shears are not very realistic. It doesn't do anything with e.g. a steady xwnd.

But during takeoff/landing I've never noticed any 'isssue' with any aircraft in FSX/P3D. Haven't used fs9 since many years but I doubt that the wind simulation is significantly different.

Maybe because your commenting in the FS2004 forum and you’ve only use FSX? 😳

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Thanx for the info!  Does this mean that xwnd handling is even worse in fs9 than in x-plane? 😂

What’s funny about your post is you play FSX when the two greatest platforms ever developed were FS9 & XP11. Poetic Justice. 🤣🤣

38 minutes ago, PebbleBeach said:

What’s funny about your post is you play FSX when the two greatest platforms ever developed were FS9 & XP11.

That's just your very special opinion and what makes you believe that I'm using a 14 year old sim?  

Edited by FDEdev

Ummm, your own words there Fredo.

Let's get back on topic. I believe we've diagnosed this gentlemen's problem. I hope this helps him.

Mitch