Sign in to follow this  
BuddyDog

Building PC is the easy part so far...

Now that I have retired, I have been scrounging through this forum, PC Parts Picker and You Tube looking at posts on building my first computer.  The old computer's MOBO and PSU were failing, but used the graphics card from it in the new build. I decided on the following components:

Phanteks P600S case (larger than I expected)

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 MOBO

Seasonic 850W Modular PSU

Intel i7 9700K

32GB 3200MHz CL14 Ram

Noctua NH-U12A cooler

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

500GB, 1TB NVMe's

4TB HDD

It took me last weekend to assemble, which was mostly straightforward.  I did struggle snaking the SATA cables.

Then onto the software install, which I have been doing slowly and methodically.

I have not put a OC on the CPU, but it is turbo boosting at 4.6 GHz at 1.13 volts.  For a test, I loaded a PMDG 737 at Fly Tampa KLAS with ORBX SoCal and using moderately high settings in P3D.  This scenario would put me at 18 fps on my old machine, but the new one is running 46 fps and not breaking a sweat (1080p).  CPU is 50C, 1070 at 60-62C

The hardest part has been trying to reinstall all the addons and emails to help desks.

• Like 2

Stephen Forsgren

Thanks for sharing! Been about three years since build new computer, looking at parts to upgrade Flt Sim Computer. Please let us know how things go for you. By way, congrats on retirement, if like me, busier now than when worked. LOL

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Hardware has always been the easy part. Straight forward. Getting all the software and chipset drivers installed is the challenge. I don't know, W10 kinda makes it easier IMO. Just built my Son a computer, 20th+ build over 20 yrs. The absolute painful part is on the Pocketbook. 😉

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

I'm a bit jealous...I'm close to retirement and you're doing exactly what I want to do...

Nice build and excellent FPS. Really good FPS, especially with KLAS and Orbx SoCal.

Thanks for sharing!

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

I'm not sure will Flightsim keep you sane or insane. Good luck on reaching retirement. Keep busy.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Too late to keep me sane.  Tried my first full flight from KPDX-KLAX with mostly high settings.  Had FSDT KLAX running, frames dropped to about 19 on short final, so might need to adjust some settings, but still fairly smooth.

Stephen Forsgren