Sign in to follow this  
baseleg16

Crossfill (resolved)

I have installed the GNS 530v2 and 430v2.  Crossfill is enabled on both.  Reality XP states that these units are "now offered with crossfill at no extra cost."  When trying to crossfill, one or the other GNS units flashes the message "Data transfer cancelled (crossfill is busy)."  The manual simply states what crossfill does, it does not provide much detail or any instructions.  I have looked for support at the Reality site and have been directed here.  I've already searched this site but have not found anything about this issue.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by RXP

You can put two into an aircraft but must be diligent about how you do it.  When you put (2) into a single aircraft one must be configured as instance _1 and the other as instance _2.  Do you have one configured as  _1 and the other as  _2?  Or do you have both configured as _1 or both as _2?   You can use (2) 430's; or (2) 530's; or one of each.

Look at the contents of the panel.cfg file for the aircraft and find the entries for each of the gauges.  Note the green text below in excerpts from my panel.cfg file for one aircraft...

And make sure you match what you do from one section to another.

From the section controlling pop-up gauges:
[Window07]
//window_pos=0.772135,0.4400
size mm=400, 480
//window_pos=0.772135,0.4525
window_pos=0.772135,0.49500
//window_size=0.227865,0.5475
window_size=0.227865,0.5200
//window_size=0.20507,0.49275
visible=1
//ident=15531
ident=GPS_PANEL
zorder=99
gauge00=rxpGNS2!GNS_530_1,0,0,100,64,MY_POPUP_COMBO    
gauge01=rxpGNS2!GNS_430_2,0,62,100,36,MY_POPUP_COMBO    
//--------------------------------------------------------

From the virtual cockpit sections:
[Vcockpit03]
Background_color=0,0,0  
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$C310_VC_03

gauge00=rxpGNS2!GNS_430_2, 0,10,1024,433, MY_VC_COMBO

[Vcockpit04]
Background_color=0,0,0  
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$C310_VC_04

gauge01=rxpGNS2!GNS_530_1, 0,8,512,384, MY_VC_COMBO

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

11 hours ago, baseleg16 said:

The manual simply states what crossfill does, it does not provide much detail or any instructions. 

Hi,

We didn't find any use copying and pasting the 'crossfill' section of the Garmin GNS Pilot's Guide which gets installed on your system with the trainer, and which you can open and read too. It also contains ALL there is to know about the GNS functions because it is the actual real device manual.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I installed one 530 and one 430.  The 530 is selected as instance 1.  With the 430 I've tried instance 1 and 2, and I get the same error message in both instances.  So I tried replacing the 430 with another 530, instance 2, and that works.  I think I'd rather have two 530s anyhow, rather than a 530 and a 430.  Although, it would be nice to know why the 530 - 1 and 430 - 2 don't seem to communicate with each other.

I've looked at the configuration files but would need a little more time with them and have not done any editing.

The aircraft I've been working on is the Carenado Piper Malibu PA-46T Jetprop.  It's supposed to have a "hotswap" feature for adding the GNS gauges, for what it's worth.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the two 530s with crossfill working.

Thanks, again, for the assistance.  I'll take a closer look at the panel.cfg files.

• Like 1

The crossfill doesn't seem to work for meunder P3DV4! Can't even select the option :( 

8 minutes ago, zsega said:

Can't even select the option 😞

Hi, what option? Where? Labeled How? Displaying what Text? On the device? In the settings? In the menus? More details?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

5 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi, what option? Where? Labeled How? Displaying what Text? On the device? In the settings? In the menus? More details?

In an A2A airplane configured with a GNS 530 and 430, the option "Crossfill" is greyed and cannot be selected inb both units!

@zsega ok, but have you actually enabled cross-fill capability? Please read the RXP User's Manual (eventually use the PDF search function to find what you're looking for)

15 minutes ago, RXP said:

@zsega ok, but have you actually enabled cross-fill capability? Please read the RXP User's Manual (eventually use the PDF search function to find what you're looking for)

Can't find anything in the manual regarding "how to enable crossfill":

http://reality-xp.com/support/trainingcenter/userguides/manuals/Reality%20XP%20GNS%20V2%20User's%20Manual%20(FltSim).pdf

I won't find anything with "what button do I need to press to enable crossfill" either.

However, searching all occurances of "cross-fill" or "crossfill"...

13 hours ago, RXP said:

I won't find anything with "what button do I need to press to enable crossfill" either.

However, searching all occurances of "cross-fill" or "crossfill"...

Do you think I'm dumb? I don't like how condescending you are sir! Of course I looked for "crossfill" and "cross" alone because sometimes you put a dash in the manual.

For "Crossfill" I found:

Use Crossfill Automatically share route, waypoints and navigation data between two GNS This must be enabled in both GNS devices used in the panel.

And for "Cross-Fill":

- Page 6: When enabled in both GNS, this option allows you to transfer a direct- to destination, the active flight plan including VNAV parameters, any stored flight plan or user waypoints to a second 400W or 500W device. If both units are set to automatic (in the Garmin GNS device settings), a change in the active flight plan, or VNAV parameters, on one unit can also be seen in the other. Initiating a direct-to course to a waypoint on one unit also initiates a direct-to course to the same waypoint on the other unit.

Nothing related on how to activate the option! 

Popup the GNS, shift+right click on the top bezel to get to the settings window.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

@zsega

I wasn't condescending at all but I might have poorly expressed myself leading you to think I was.

To your comment:

20 hours ago, zsega said:

Can't find anything in the manual regarding "how to enable crossfill":

I was highlighting searching a PDF file with a complete sentence like this might give no results because it is too specific.

Searching with just 1 keyword instead gives instant answers (or not if the keyword is not in the manual).

I'm glad you've found the 2 pages where it is mentioned, and I believe you saying you're not dumb and looking what is the chapter one of these is into, namely "Settings". Further reading the manuals, especially the first few pages, you'll quickly find out how to access and change the device "Settings". Once found, you'll certainly notice how the settings on the screen are laid out into sections and how the page you've found the keyword is also inside a section in the manual. Since both the in-screen settings and the in-manual settings are equivalently named, you'll most likely resolve how to set the setting on both your devices. It is really easy.

Please understand the products are 99% replicating the real devices, with their weight of knowledge and their learning curve. On top of that, we're offering a significant amount of settings options so that you can not only adapt the devices to the specific simulator aircraft you're flying with, but also to adjust the devices functions exactly like you'd ask the FBO to configure them for you in a real aircraft.

There is a steep learning curve but over time you'll get there quickly!

Edited by RXP

On 7/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Popup the GNS, shift+right click on the top bezel to get to the settings window.

Thanks a lot, this is a relief 😃 really appreciate your implication sir!