Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

in flight recording of flight

what is the easiest way to create an exportable video of a flight in p3dv4.5 

Peter

I would use the record option under the analysis tab on the ALT menu. Then Play that recording back also under analysis on the ALT menu. Use Shadowplay to capture the video of the playback in the MP4 format. That's one fairly simple way to do it.

Gents, is any way of exporting that file created by P3D in other format versus using Shadow-play?

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, Quasimodo said:

No, I don't think so. That is not a video file. I vaguely remember reading something in the learning centre about P3D making it own videos but I'm probanly wrong about that.

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php

Too bad.

Thanks.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Best way is with FRAPS:

https://www.fraps.com/

Sorry Chock, disagree!😁 Best way is with shadowplay. Shadow play makes MP4's. FRAPS Makes .avi files which are huge. But if you insist on using FRAPS and I do for some stuff make sure your change its affinity. Task manager. Right click on the FRAP icon and select go to details and set the affinity to some core other than CPU 0 otherwise it will knock the Hobonip out of your performance.😆

Edited by Quasimodo

40 minutes ago, Quasimodo said:

Sorry Chock, disagree!😁 Best way is with shadowplay. Shadow play makes MP4's. FRAPS Makes .avi files which are huge. But if you insist on using FRAPS and I do for some stuff make sure you change its affinity. Task manager. Right click on the FRAP icon and select go to details and set the affinity to some core other than CPU 0 otherwise it will knock the word Hobonip out of you performance.😆

Not so. First up, the question specifically was 'what is the easiest way to create an exportable video of a flight in p3dv4.5?' and not 'which makes the smallest file size?'. So yes, whilst it is true that AVI files are indeed typically larger than MPEG 4 files (not always true, depends on the CODECs and a number of other choices), a preference for small file size was not part of the OP's question.

Next up, Shadowplay is an NVidia product, part of the GeForce Experience overlay, and in recommending that, you are assuming that all computers are using an NVidia GPU. Not so. In point of fact some PCs are using an NVidia GPU, but others are using an AMD GPU (including mine, since I chose it in preference for NVidia products and in fact usually do when building PCs). And of course some PCs are not even using a dedicated GPU at all, instead utilising the motherboard's capabilities. So there's a reason right there for it not to be the easiest way, or even a possible way, to stream video and record it. 

This is why I recommended FRAPS. It is entirely indifferent to what hardware a PC is using to create the visuals and independent of any particular GPU software or drivers, it will record video whatever the method under the hood. And if one is worried about file sizes, it does have the option to split files at 4Gb. It's possibly an advantage too, in considering that the AVI format supports multi-channel audio streaming as well, including synching external audio input when made use of in FRAPS.

Once recorded, it is a simple matter to choose the format and CODEC one desires for final usage and convert an AVI file in the knowledge that with minimal compression, the quality is there to either be included in the encoding, or downsampled in whatever way one so desires. Whether one chooses to do this in Windows Live Movie Maker, or Media Encoder, or Final Cut Pro X or Premiere Pro or whatever is up to the end user (I've had occasion to try all of these methods and have my own favourites, but they all work).

Beyond this, FRAPS is very simple to use, being a one button press for on/off and there is no mistaking when it is running with its red FPS counter overlay. Also of use is its options to capture at any frame rate you like, at half resolution if required, plus a number of other useful options which are easy to select and/or enable disable on the fly.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Fair enough. For the specialty user FRAPS certainly has advantages over ShadowPlay. I do use it myself but I would still say that for the typical user who is running P3D they will have an Nvidia card and since the OP appears to be new to making videos of P3D content I'll stand by my position that Shadowplay is the easier option and its free. I know there is a free version of FRAPS too but I haven't used that in years. All I remember is that there where some limitations that are lifted with the pay version.😁

Edited by Quasimodo

Yup, the payware version is the one to have, the freebie one is fairly restrictive, but in fairness, it's not a massively expensive utility providing you are intending to use it a lot, which I do, so it's more than paid for itself as far as I'm concerned.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

OBS Studio (Freeware) to record and HandBrake (also Freeware) to reduce MP4 file size without loss of quality. Also good for reducing Shadowplay and Geforce file sizes.)

steve southey