Sign in to follow this  
Pluto7777

RTX 2080 not detected

Posted (edited)

I had put this post in wrong dept, so here again about issue of new RTX2080ti is not detected by PC. I had already GTX980ti on a MSI motherboard with i7 processor and W10. (PSU is 675 watts) - Due to slow framerates i upgraded to MSI RTX2080ti  X Pro. Changed the card, the slot clicked and the PSU connected, i had a nice pink blue led show when starting up, but when checking device mngr i could only see the original GPU, not a new one  with yellow sign...guys told me to use DDU without the card and then put it in, nothing, cannot install new driver as systems rsponds, no card detected for this driver... used MSI software to update BIOS to latest version; nothing - complete update for latest W10, nothing..., when i put the old GTX980 again for test, after 8 minutes of black screen (auto installing driver i guess) it is up and running again !    so i guess the 2080 thing must be DOA ?

Edited by Pluto7777

Here is our power supply recommendation:

• GeForce RTX 2080 - On your average system we recommend a 600 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - On your average system we recommend a 650 Watt power supply unit
  • SLI - On your average system we recommend to add 275 Watts on the above values. if you plan to tweak/OC, add another 100 Watts.

If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. Also, at half the PSU load (50% usage) your PSU is the most energy efficient. There are many good PSUs out there, please do have a look at our many PSU reviews as we have loads of recommended PSUs for you to check out in there. Let's move to the next page where we'll look into GPU heat levels and noise levels coming from this graphics card.

Luke Pype

Posted (edited)

Nvidia list the same driver for the GTX980ti and the 2080ti. You said you removed the previous driver and used ddu, but what driver version do you have installed at the moment?

What make is your PSU. A reputable brand with that output is likely to be adequate for a single 2080ti, but some mid range and cheaper PSU brands quote maximum output, not sustained output, which can result in power supply problems. I see that this card requires two 8 pin and one 6 pin power connectors. Does you PSU have these on separate leads? Single leads with multiple plugs can cause problems.

You said you reinstalled the 980ti and there was a delay which you assumed was the driver loading, so you then had a working system, with the BIOS updated and hopefully a current driver. You do not say if you then tried again with the 2080ti. Assuming you did, and the additional power leads were connected correctly, and the card is fully inserted, it should work, just like the 980ti.

If it does not, then it sounds like you may have a defective card, which should be returned for testing.

Edited by Biggles2010

John B

4 minutes ago, MaDDogz said:

3 plugs for that card i believe

Yes. Just realised and edited my post.

John B

I posted this on another thread I have a MSI2080TI had to connect another power lead, upgrade from a MSI1080 without the extra power lead will not work, I have seen gaming PC`s sporting a 650w PSU with 9900k and 2080TI installed. 

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 3/29/2020 at 10:56 AM, Pluto7777 said:

I had put this post in wrong dept, so here again about issue of new RTX2080ti is not detected by PC. I had already GTX980ti on a MSI motherboard with i7 processor and W10. (PSU is 675 watts) - Due to slow framerates i upgraded to MSI RTX2080ti  X Pro. Changed the card, the slot clicked and the PSU connected, i had a nice pink blue led show when starting up, but when checking device mngr i could only see the original GPU,reviews at detecthistory not a new one  with yellow sign...guys told me to use DDU without the card and then put it in, nothing, cannot install new driver as systems rsponds, no card detected for this driver... used MSI software to update BIOS to latest version; nothing - complete update for latest W10, nothing..., when i put the old GTX980 again for test, after 8 minutes of black screen (auto installing driver i guess) it is up and running again !    so i guess the 2080 thing must be DOA ?

Looks like you need to connect an additional power suply. Check some reviews and then compare them to your pin connections.