Sign in to follow this  
rlashier

Need simple explanation on installing ORBX scenery in P3dv5

I have used multiple ORBX sceneries (several Regions and individual airports, trees, etc,) in Prepar3d using the older Orbx Central manager tool.

Now the question is how to get this compatible scenery into Prepar3d v5 with least complexity and waste of time and disk space.

I have retained my Prepar3d V4 setup on the same drive where I am installing v5.

My Orbx sceneries for v4 were installed directly in the v4 application, not in the more modern method of creating libraries outside of the application.

I understand that the one goal of the revised ORBC Central is to get users to migrate their ORBX installation away from the inner workings of the app and into libraries.

I have tried to read the guides on this conversion and migration process, and I am very confused.

Can someone explain in laymen's what I should be doing with my ORBX sceneries and airports already installed the old way (and working fine in v4), and migrate these files to ORBX libraries where those files can the be linked to and used in Prepar3d v5 without much fuss?  I assume I must migrate Orbx files that are currently instlled directly to a library and once there, point these and link these files to v5 so they can be used in both installations. The program wants to create one main ORBX library when I select the sceneries to migrate. Should I link v5 to this one main library, or am I supposed to create separate libraries for v4 and v5 link them to the application, somehow, and then verify the files.  This all seem confusing not well explained by ORBX. Can someone cut through the muck and help me get it right?

Thanks,

Rich L

11 minutes ago, rlashier said:

I have used multiple ORBX sceneries (several Regions and individual airports, trees, etc,) in Prepar3d using the older Orbx Central manager tool.

Now the question is how to get this compatible scenery into Prepar3d v5 with least complexity and waste of time and disk space.

I have retained my Prepar3d V4 setup on the same drive where I am installing v5.

My Orbx sceneries for v4 were installed directly in the v4 application, not in the more modern method of creating libraries outside of the application.

I understand that the one goal of the revised ORBC Central is to get users to migrate their ORBX installation away from the inner workings of the app and into libraries.

I have tried to read the guides on this conversion and migration process, and I am very confused.

Can someone explain in laymen's what I should be doing with my ORBX sceneries and airports already installed the old way (and working fine in v4), and migrate these files to ORBX libraries where those files can the be linked to and used in Prepar3d v5 without much fuss?  I assume I must migrate Orbx files that are currently instlled directly to a library and once there, point these and link these files to v5 so they can be used in both installations. The program wants to create one main ORBX library when I select the sceneries to migrate. Should I link v5 to this one main library, or am I supposed to create separate libraries for v4 and v5 link them to the application, somehow, and then verify the files.  This all seem confusing not well explained by ORBX. Can someone cut through the muck and help me get it right?

Thanks,

Rich L

I was in the same boat as you.

P3dv4 on a slow hdd and v5 on the new SSD. Old  ORBX method as well.

First i desided were i wanted the ORBX files to be stored (ORBX creates a subfolder called p3dv4 and p3dv5 - so its up to you if it shall contain both versions = double space)

second i migrate all my p3dv4 old scenerys etc, using central 4 which should be version 4.1.6 btw (opt-in version) pointed to that folder . I then renamed it Main library inside central 4.

Third installed p3dv5 and used this guide below so you dont have to download everything again. just copy paste and verify files afterwards.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/190948-installing-orbx-products-in-prepar3d-v5/

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

There is no elegant solution at the moment for those who are planning to actively run v4 and v5 (as i am). Would be great if Orbx could address this so we don’t need a dual install.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The easiest way to get them in is to opt in the fast track lane which when you restart the central app you will be able to click the option for v5. Then close it down and head over to where you store the scenery for ORBX and you will see a folder for v5. Keep the libraries and object flow in these folders at all times and just cut and paste scenery items from v4 to v5 when you want to use them. When you do, open up the central app again and Orbx will recognize you have inserted it into v5. Click to verify the files and configure the control panel and thats it. IF your still using v4 and want to fly in it, you will need to cut and paste back again and repeat the verify files.. To save the small hassle of cutting and pasting, you can have both on at the same time, but that would be a waste as they are the same files for each version. I did it in a video on my Channel here@: 

8 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

I was in the same boat as you.

P3dv4 on a slow hdd and v5 on the new SSD. Old  ORBX method as well.

That's exactly what I did. Took me half a day (I own the complete ORBX P3D Catalogue) but what I've seen so far seems to have worked.

You have to keep track of titles not yet compatible to P3D5. When copying over from the P3D4 lib to the P3D5 lib I included those sceneries not yet compatible. Most (all?) of them are not inluded in the P3D5 MySceneries listing of ORBX Central but get activated upon first run of Prepar3d5. I deactivated them using SimStarter but I'll have to re-check this when I find time.

Anyway, there's a list in the ORBX P3D5 support forum listing all compatible sceneries. So, alternatively, you can omit those not compatible and re-download them as they will become available for P3D5.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

18 minutes ago, pmb said:

That's exactly what I did. Took me half a day (I own the complete ORBX P3D Catalogue) but what I've seen so far seems to have worked.

You have to keep track of titles not yet compatible to P3D5. When copying over from the P3D4 lib to the P3D5 lib I included those sceneries not yet compatible. Most (all?) of them are not inluded in the P3D5 MySceneries listing of ORBX Central but get activated upon first run of Prepar3d5. I deactivated them using SimStarter but I'll have to re-check this when I find time.

Anyway, there's a list in the ORBX P3D5 support forum listing all compatible sceneries. So, alternatively, you can omit those not compatible and re-download them as they will become available for P3D5.

Kind regards, Michael

I haven't got as many ORbx as you, but I have a few.

I decided to keep it simple and just reinstall the v5 compatibles scenery directly from Orbx Central. I don't know if they've updated any files for v5, but this seemed like the best way to obtain a fully "clean" install without having to sort out which scenery from the v4 folder is OK, and which is not.

The downside, of course, is disk space, but i'll remove some/all of the v4 installs once I'm no longer using that sim,

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Thanks to all for your helpful advice. 

When I free up more time later today, I will give it another shot. 

Wish there was a more elegant solution for those of us who want to try v5 but still keeping our working and well equipped v4 on same system until things mature with v5.

Rich L

With the help provided here, I have had some success in getting the new ORBX central software to install ORBX products into v5. I. Ay have a few redundant installs with my v4 setup, but now I am more concerned that the scenery is installed and works! Thanks again. 

Rich L