Firstly a big Thank You to Iris Simulations for their recent giveaway. :cool:

Secondly a quote attributed to Andy Warhol: "You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you."

I guess that's why there's a BD-5 variant with a turbine instead of a piston engine! :biggrin:

Iris simulations have IMHO produced a great rendition of the dinky little aerobatic jet in both piston and jet versions (of course!) and several paint schemes. The textures and details look good and the instruments are very clear. The altimeter is so smooth too, as are the other gauges, but the altimeter is one of the largest gauges present in the basic, but easy to understand panel. I've no real world experience of the BD-5 or anything like it really so cannot say how accurate the flight model is apart from it flies how I might expect: A nippy little bugger which doesn't want to slow down, yet nice and precise. Here's just a couple of screenshots. No, I didn't find an open hangar to fly through as allegedly demonstrated in the Bond movie Octopussy. Yes, it really did fly through A hangar, but not the one in the movie. The Toshiba advert is also a bit doctored - the hangar was fully open at both ends and didn't have the guys opening the doors at the far end: Watch from about the two minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMghzLhX-B8

Anyhow I found a cracking article about the stunt pilot "Corkey" Fornof.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2011/10/in-the-cockpit-with-corkey-fornof-hollywood-stunt-pilot/17762

Anyhow here's the screenshots.

xCZt7ai.jpg

H8wB5K4.jpg

iieBtqv.jpg

Enjoy.

FSX NOTAM - The BD-5 has flaps, but I cannot seem to find the lever in the cockpit, I just have to remember how many times I've pressed the button on my HOTAS (and/or look at the wing)! 

An artificial horizon would be nice (I've seen a video of a real one with a spiffy looking glass cockpit..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQW8NWE8luM

Also there's no instrument lighting, so this little bugger is daylight VFR only! :wink: I could fudge a dome light into the aircraft.cfg I reckon...

• Like 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Good stuff, Mark! Watched the Bond clip..too...Coincidentally, just today, I was watching "Die Another Day", and that An-124, there, being disintegrated...oh well....

iRIS, looks like, has a FW Sale, but, I seem to have acquired almost all their A/C in the past years. mostly during their End-of-Year sales, most in my FSX Archive, though.....

They make good planes...I'd posted about their Vulcan and A10, I recall...

And, here, nice screenshots, you have, of this tiny but spirited plane....Enjoy....!!

• Like 1

I've found out where the flap handle is likely to be....

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepBD-5.html

The landing gear is a healthy looking T-handle affair that would look more at home in a jacked-up GTO. It juts up between your legs about where the control stick should be and the flap handle is right next to it.

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Mark:

Found BD5 in my (FSX) Archive, but, still, I downloaded, fresh, from the IRIS website, to match your version...(tried the 5J model, here)..

If I may, please, add the following images (below):

1. General (fly-past) shot over KSEA
  2. Left wing trailing edge (flap=0)
  3. Left wing trailing edge (flap=1 notch) [One "F7" Key Stroke]
  4. Left wing trailing edge (flap=2 notch, Max Flap) [Another "F7" Key Stroke]

[But, Mark, unfortunately, I cannot see/detect any movement/motion, at all, within the [VC]...Control is hidden somewhere...?? If you find it, please let me know...]

[flaps] //in Aircraft.cfg
flaps-position.0 =  0.000, 0.000
flaps-position.1 = 18.000, 0.000
flaps-position.2 = 37.000, 0.000

ps2s4l.png

CRnDFx.png

ln4WjJ.png

PUuxMM.png

• Like 1

I don't mind people adding relevant screenshots at all - it's up to the mods although we're collectively still well within the 20 image limit.

Another interesting thing about the BD-5 as modelled is the fuel gauge and the fuel tanks. Left & Right tanks fair enough, but only one tank at a time is selected - white needle for left, red needle for right on the gauge. Thus you end up with an increasing out of balance effect on the longitudinal axis if you use fuel from one side for too long (she wants to roll/turn left or right depending).

Aspiring BD-5 pilots :tongue: ! Watch that gauge and switch tanks every so often. :wink:

Mark Robinson

**Neat little Jet**

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick