Sign in to follow this  
N4865G

Not really new, just away for a while

12 years in fact. Cannot believe how fast the time passes. Flight simulation was my key inspiration to start my real flying career back in 2006.

I was still active for the first few years of flying small corporate single and twin piston aircraft (SR22 and BE58 Baron), but then flying became hectic and very time consuming so my flight sim time was over. 

I started with Propilot99, amazing and super smooth graphics at the time. I remember flying their Citation aircraft there a lot. Then came many editions of MSFS up to the final version then, the FSX. 

At one stage I even built the custom computer for the sim exclusively with proper water cooling system running across both processors. I must have accumulated dozens of sim add-ons, the custom scenery, pro aircraft, ATC add-ons, I was very active with online ATC via Vatsim.

Good old times.

12 years later, here I am, wide-body pilot flying for one of the Middle Eastern carriers spanning the globe. 

Grounded with plenty of spare time to fill.

I started watching youtube videos about upcoming MSFS and I got really intrigued and tempted to come back.

Time to configure my hardware setup now.

Maybe I will get my teenage sons to become interested as I once was. 

Dom

49837294702_b5f72c879c_z.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome back to AVSIM, Dom!

MSFS isn't the only sim in town, but I guess you already know that :cool:

Love the cockpit shot! A bit cold in the front there? You're wearing a sweater. That's a spiffy looking cockpit - 787 by any chance?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

It is indeed. After a long night flight you get tired and start feeling cold as a result, hence the sweater... 😉

Thanks

Dom

• Like 1

Welcome back Dom, exciting times indeed.

Edited by SierraHotel

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Welcome back. It just goes to show, there is no escape from a love of aeroplanes. 🙂

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Amazing how it goes full circle....we all envy you, your living the dream for many of us here!

Beautiful picture too!

Luke Pype

Thank you all, but like many other professions we now face the deepest employment crisis in decades. No one is safe these days, many will need to find alternative professions.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to joining the great and passionate community all over again,

Dom

• Like 2

Funny thing is I am back after an 8-10 year gap too but not as interesting as your post.  I just kind of moved off onto other things for a while.  think I got tired of the FSX stuff at the time.

Now I have seen the 2020 posts and have been looking round.  I am getting access to my old software but that unfortunately is just what it is Old !   The PMDG 737 was for FS9 and I have lost the LevelD 767 and the Airbus fleet from who knows where.

I see that X-plane 11 is also available and come in in leaps and bounds.

So at the moment I am watching videos and trying to decide what to do, is it back to FSX or the Prepar3d or X-Plane.

My current desktop PC is an I5 6600, 16 gig ram and an Nvidia 1650.

Watching and reading with interest, hope you can get back to work soonest and stay in good health.

regards

Doug

• Like 1