Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Twitching and morphing

10 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It consumes more VRAM ... increases texture resolution so there is less of drastic change.  "too much" depends on how much VRAM your GPU has and other add-ons and your other graphics settings. 

Cheers, Rob. 

Hi Rob,

I just tried the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 setting (again).. and can report that it reliably doubles my P3D load time for very little visual benefit.. it also uses more RAM and VRAM, just as an aside..

The underlying problem is indeed an old one... I recall that in FSX SP1, autogen was gradually fading in which looked nice, but in SP2, this fading was removed "for performance reasons".. 

Similarly, higher resolution terrain in P3D is not morphing in, which would look nice, but instead it is popping into view as I fly over it.   An extreme example is Orbx KHAF, flying up along the coast towards KSFO.  Maybe an Uber-CPU/GPU can make this appear smoother... but most of us do not quite have that hardware..  I am flying with 5m mesh as Orbx recommends.

So, is this one on LMs list of things to tackle next?  You might know.. :unsure:

• Like 1

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hi Rob,

I just tried the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 setting (again).. and can report that it reliably doubles my P3D load time for very little visual benefit.. it also uses more RAM and VRAM, just as an aside..

The underlying problem is indeed an old one... I recall that in FSX SP1, autogen was gradually fading in which looked nice, but in SP2, this fading was removed "for performance reasons".. 

Similarly, higher resolution terrain in P3D is not morphing in, which would look nice, but instead it is popping into view as I fly over it.   An extreme example is Orbx KHAF, flying up along the coast towards KSFO.  Maybe an Uber-CPU/GPU can make this appear smoother... but most of us do not quite have that hardware..  I am flying with 5m mesh as Orbx recommends.

So, is this one on LMs list of things to tackle next?  You might know.. :unsure:

I have Uber cpu and gpu and it’s exactly as you described. 

On my system the LONG load time just is not worth the difference in benefits from EXP=9 and EXP=10. It's nice to look at for demo's and videos but when you want to grab a quick flight - too long.

Vic

• Like 1

P3D#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 2080ti 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
P3D#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

6 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I just tried the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 setting (again).. and can report that it reliably doubles my P3D load time for very little visual benefit..

I find this same idea, amping up various scenery and lighting parameters, can have an extraordinarily high impact on CPU and/or GPU, and yet the visual benefits often are verging on absent.   Which implies it really makes sense to learn what those are and reduce or remove them as needed.

Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.