Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

VoxScript and key presses?

I went through VoxScript manual a few times but I can't figure it out if this is possible. Can VoxScript make key presses? Let's say I say "We are the champions" and the resulting command is a "Shift+L" key press? If this is not what VoxScript is designed for, can this be achieved some other way with MCE? If not, is this achievable in any other way in P3D?

5 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Can VoxScript make key presses? Let's say I say "We are the champions" and the resulting command is a "Shift+L" key press?

I don´t use it, but i think exactly that is for what VoxScript stands for

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

2 minutes ago, BerndB said:

I don´t use it, but i think exactly that is for what VoxScript stands for

The commands you can enter are like "taxi light on", "transponder standby", etc... not key presses or at least there's no example in the manual how to do that. I tried to enter commands like "press shift and L" and things like that in the FS section in VoxScript but nothing worked.

6 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

The commands you can enter are like "taxi light on", "transponder standby", etc... not key presses or at least there's no example in the manual how to do that. I tried to enter commands like "press shift and L" and things like that in the FS section in VoxScript but nothing worked.

As Bernd pointed out. Voxkey, rather than Voxscipt for that.

You can create ANY speech command you want, including "we are the champions" or local non-English command in your native language and tie it to a key combination to be sent to the sim.

If commands are intended for any P3D version, open the "Prepar3D Demo.vkp" profile. For FSX, open "FSX Demo.vkp".

When MCE loads, it looks up the relevant profile for the sim you're running, and makes any custom commands it finds in it available for speech recognition.

You speak the command and the key combo attached to it is sent to the sim.

It's not what we use for crew simulation.

Voxkey doesn't care about the state the switches are in. Even if you use it for that purpose, it will only toggle them.

Also, built-in commands take precedence over custom ones. If you create "gear down" to toggle "G", it will be ignored as the built-in MCE command (that uses other mechanisms) will take precedence, checking gear status, speed and such things before extending or retracting it.

It can be handy to drive other add-ons. I mean, to trigger anything that responds to key presses and doesn't care about initial state.

You'll be surprised, speech engine doesn't care about the words you put in, but rather, the "phonetics". ANY language will do, even meaningless things like "dig daag doo". As long as what you utter "sounds like" what you've written. 

Edit: Once you've created custom commands in Voxkey, it is possible to add them to any flow in Voxscript.

Edited by FS++
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I was looking only at VoxScript, I completely missed the fact VoXKey is a different software 🙄 Silly mistake. It's all clear now. I got it working. Thank you for you patience!

It's OK 🙂

We added so much stuff over a decade that it's getting hard for documentation to keep up to date. For instance, there are a lot more variations in terms of built-in commands than initially published. The aim being to allow users to speak as naturally as possible, without needing to read manual. It wouldn't be fun otherwise.

Here is something that very few people actually know about Voxscript.

Aside from making custom flows (original Voxscript goal) it can actually be used as a "translator".

Let's say you don't want to bother remembering the mechanic release sentences available in MCE.

Go to <Voxscript> user interface.

Click <New> and type whatever sentence you'd like to use in order to release mechanic. It can be anything you want, not even need to refer to "mechanic" word or mean anything.

The custom command will be listed. At this stage MCE can already recognize it, but it doesn't know what to make of it.

Select the newly created command and click <Edit>

In next screen, enable "Verbose" option so you can hear FO or mechanic reply.

Click <Edit script commands> button.

Now, look up the manual once to find out which MCE built-in commands are available for that purpose. In this case "mechanic you may leave" (among others)

Command will be listed. Don't forget to save.

That's it, you just created an aliased command for a built-in one. 

Saying whatever you wrote will act as if you spoke the built-in command.

Using this technique, you can teach Fo to read your mind.

What about "get rid of that annoying amber light" to mean "clear master caution" etc...😄

What about talking to cabin crew to get them to open or close doors in your native language. That's right, it's possible.

David has made an educational video regarding Voxscript. It doesn't cover the translation capability though.

Your imagination is the limit.

<media> 

</media>

• Like 1