Sign in to follow this  
alphasierraq

GNS430 missing items in saved flight plan

I have a flight plan in the catalog which includes a bunch of airports, waypoints and an approach. When I export this, the resulting file contains all of the enroute waypoints but none from the approach. Is this a feature or a bug?

58 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

Is this a feature or a bug?

You do not mention which  sim, but my experience says it is either a limitation, or to be friendly, a "feature" of the sim. Would you provide an example, and the sim involved?

Also, if you "store" the flight plan into the GNS user database, if you then later load it back into the GNS are all of the nav points present?  Speaking here of the GNS user database, not the exported flight plan.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

You do not mention which  sim, but my experience says it is either a limitation, or to be friendly, a "feature" of the sim. Would you provide an example, and the sim involved?

This is the RXP GNS430W on Xplane11. 

Example is as follows. In the flight plan I have KDAY-PLUMM-KCMH->Approach RNAV 10R. I can fly this route and everything goes fine. 

The problem is when I export that flight plan. The export goes fine. I can see all the airports and fixes in the exported file, but there nothing about the approach. If I import that file back into the GPS, everything is there but no approach.  I would attach the file and screenshot, but I don't think I have that option on this forum.

How are you exporting it?  I am not an xPlane user.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

How are you exporting it?  I am not an xPlane user.

I don't think it should matter that it is in Xplane, because the GNS430 is the same Garmin model regardless of which simulation software. In any case, I am exporting it using RXP's recommended method. Go to Flight Plan catalog (FPL menu #2), select the flight plan you want to export, hit the Menu button, scroll down to "Export Flightplan?" and then hit Enter. It saves the file in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GNS Trainer Data\GNS\FPL with the extension fpl. 

Ok.  I see what you refer to and have duplicated.  I see that if an approach for instance is added to a flight plan, and the flight plan copied (stored), if I power down the GNS and then bring it up again, then select that flight plan, the approach was saved within the stored plan.  I did an export and the resulting .fpl file does not contain the approach.  So I follow you.  What I do not know is if this is part of a Garmin method, or part of an RXP method.  I do know that Garmin builds in tight rules, or screening, into it's products but my experience is much more with importing flight plans.  Have not had prior experience with exporting.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hi,

This is most likely normal and expected because the .fpl format has no specific requirement for 'procedures':

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)