Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Real life Area 88 company..

Area 88 is a manga and anime series where mercenary pilots are sent to fight in a fictional middle east setting. Each pilot brings his own plane or is provided with one... 😎 The aircraft are nicely drawn and it (the anime) is a great bit of escapism with a slight nod to reality; Crusader folding its wingtips to fly through a gap and a Harrier VIFFing.. (F-8 Crusaders have taken off with tips folded and vectoring in forward flight is a real Harrier manoeuvre).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_88

This real company with its mixed fleet of fighter aircraft just struck me as quite similar, in terms of the varied fleet makeup, but without any of the far-fetched shenanigans - no mercenaries accruing $1.5 million to buy their way out and no capital offence for desertion!

http://www.drakenintl.com/

I discovered Draken thanks to fsafranek's signature on AVSIM. Frank has a site detailing Mirage paintjobs for flightsims, one of which was a scheme for an F1 in Draken International colours... strange how the world of internet random works! 😎 Thanks, Frank!

I note the Draken has 22 Mirage F1s - such a pretty plane with a bloody great afterburner..  I only need one.. 😎

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

They have 8 of the RNZAF A4-K Skyhawks.
Military enthusiasts here wept at the loss of our fast jet fleet.

• Like 1

Having just done a quick and dirty wikipedia look-up on the RNZAF fleet, I feel your pain, sir!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)