Sign in to follow this  
cel70

General FSX trouble since new Windows install

This might seem  a bit vague but I was wondering if anyone has had the same trouble. A while ago I did a fresh reinstall of my system. I have a Dell Latitude running Windows 7. Ever since the reinstall I have had recurring messages saying that my copy of Windows is not genuine. Windows came pre installed so I have no physical copy of Windows

a few weeks ago I decided to resinstall both FS9 and FSX.  FS9 wouldn't run at all.  It installed okay but when I double clicked the start icon it was busy for a few seconds, then nothing happened. I tried installing it on another laptop at home and the result was the same. FS9 worked perfectly well on the same machines a few years ago.

So I tried FSX. It has generally run okay, but virtually none of my addon scenery works anymore. I have Edwards Air Force base by freeware Blue Sky scenery which runs okay, but that's about all. Even other Blue Sky areas don't work.  I have some Aerosoft airports, On some the basic 3D models appear, but they are without any textures at all. They are just grey objects.

Some addon aircraft work without problems. But about 50% don't. I have Just Flights DC 8 and there was no visibile virtual cockpit and the exterior plane model was literally just the wing with engines! (It looked quite amusing but I would prefer the whole plane)

Even some of the standard Microsoft plane have problems/ The cockpit views work fine but most exterior textures are very low res and blurry.

Switching planes and airports also results in frequent CTDs

So it's basically  a simulation wide malaise I have. I can play the simulation in a largely "vanilla" format if I'm patient, but for me a large part of the appeal of FSX was the addons.

I thought perhaps it might be a problem with Windows 7, as support for it has been withdrawn from Microsoft, and my problems started after my system reinstall. Both FS9 and FSX worked perfectly well on both my home laptops a few years ago.

@cel70

It is rare, maybe the problem is that the installation of W7 was not completed successfully or that something else is missing to install.

I recommend that you download W10, without activating, from the official Microsoft website, you can use it without problems except that a watermark will appear on the screen, then install fs9 and fsx

Please note that W10 version 2004 will be released shortly and will not be compatible with 32-bit systems, I don't know if yours is 32 or 64 bit.

Another recommendation before doing anything is to use the program "cristal disk info" this program checks the health of your hard drives, maybe your hard drives have some damage and that's why there are problems, I don't know. https://crystalmark.info/en/

Regards

Check for DX10 preview in Settings//Graphics and see if it's checked.  Unchecked it.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Ending support for W7 doesn't mean it won't work any more. It just means that there will be no new fixes or updates for it. As you know, the default sims must work before you add anything, and add slowly. If the default sim only runs "generally OK", or not at all, that's a big problem that needs to be fixed first.

Moving to W10 is a personal choice. If it means anything, I can tell you that all the horror stories you have heard are over-blown. I remember when W7 came out, it was supposed to have all kinds of major problems. FWIW I run default FS9 and FSX on W10 home 64 bit without issue. Plenty of people run add ons made for W10 (and some not) just fine also.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Sounds like DX10 Preview has been turned on in FSX.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.