Sign in to follow this  
Daskal

Question about ILS approach

My question concerns an ILS approach I was doing into KATL. The approach loaded into the MDU and into P2ATC were identical. Verified by inspecting the waypoints on the right side of the P2ATC screen. The approach is a lengthy one into 09L of KATL using the RYENN via. I was expecting to compete the last waypoint, STUMP, of the SITTH2 STAR and then get vectors to the RYENN via which is almost parallel at that point. However, when flying this parallel course P2ATC unexpectedly gave me vectors that would bypass the vias and start final. It was as if a spot opened up where a controller could fit a flight into an immediate final.

Is this situation normal and should it be expected from time to time?

Thanks

Yes.  There are any number of situations where ATC will give vectors to final, bypassing all or part of the STAR and Approach Transition.  

Dave

6 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Yes.  There are any number of situations where ATC will give vectors to final, bypassing all or part of the STAR and Approach Transition.  

Dave,

that sounds interesting. how do I set this up in P2A so that I can experience such situations?

At the moment I always use vectors, but this other variant sounds much better!

Regards

ReinerOnTour

Meine Virtuelle Airline: Leipzigair   LHA357    abz_3kapitaen.gif
Mein Youtube Channel: Reiner on Tour
X - Plane 11 | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | 32GB DDR4-3200  | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | Win10 /64bit

It's not something you set.  If you are flying a STAR and, for example, the angle to final is too severe, ATC will give you vectors.  So, if you have a flight plan without an Approach Transition, you are more likely to get vectors, but only if the STAR and final approach don't line up well.

Dave

Dave,

thank you very much for this information. I will definitely try this.

Regards

ReinerOnTour

Meine Virtuelle Airline: Leipzigair   LHA357    abz_3kapitaen.gif
Mein Youtube Channel: Reiner on Tour
X - Plane 11 | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | 32GB DDR4-3200  | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | Win10 /64bit