Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Austin Interview on Threshold

1 minute ago, HumptyDumpty said:

u r still not understand the Mesa so i will let it go.

What was the bug report, I can try and recreate it.

AutoATC Developer

Just now, mSparks said:

What was the bug report, I can try and recreate it.

nah it's ok , that was then and its not relevant anymore , as my XP is not anymore in Linux , didn't want to keep rebooting to Linux just for XP so it's all on windows , if it wasn't for DCS / il2 i would be running it under Linux.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

28 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

nah it's ok , that was then and its not relevant anymore

You dont need to boot into linux, just post what you sent to Laminar, it was February the last time I had a bug to report, happy to recreate it and assist if I can since you are that insistent its an xplane bug they wont fix because they dont support open source drivers.. -> which just isn't true.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

10 minutes ago, mSparks said:

You dont need to boot into linux, just post what you sent to Laminar, it was February the last time I had a bug to report, happy to recreate it and assist if I can.

Hahaha thanks but i did mention this wasn't in 11.50 it was much before , thanks for the assist thing. so it was quite a few months back. probaly somewhere in March 2019 so its too old , since 11.50 its no more in Linux as the Vulkan is helping with the AMD GPU but i am curious to know what is the performance difference between XP Windows Vulkan against XP Linux  Vulkan (mostly with the AMD GPU but even a Nvidia comparision would suffice) 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

9 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

(mostly with the AMD GPU but even a Nvidia comparision would suffice) 

embed.php?i=1806226-AR-WINLINUX713&sha=355ffe4&p=2

^OpenGL, but I doubt Vulkan makes the windows situation much better, probably narrowed the gap. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

3 minutes ago, mSparks said:

embed.php?i=1806226-AR-WINLINUX713&sha=355ffe4&p=2

^OpenGL, but I doubt Vulkan makes the windows situation much better, probably narrowed the gap. 

Wow that's a huge difference , a surprise that i am seeing the RX 580 on par with a Nvidia 1080Ti in linux. So is the Vega. Then the RX 5xxx series would be higher ? 

BTW wanted to know if those Freeware Volumetric clouds are usable , wanted to try them out.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

But that's the problem, it's not a developers decision ... it's a market decision (per data 80% on Windows) and we programmers follow the metrics of higher revenue

Current usage of X-Plane on Mac OS X is 35.2%, Linux 1.14% and Windows 63.7% from their latest stats. Dropping 35.2% of their market at a time like this would not be a good idea. Also, I think the iOS version will have a lot more users (who also pay subscriptions). Many of those Mac OS X users will stay on X-Plane when MFS is released because they can't run it on their machines. I could understand dropping Linux at 1.14%

i think LR shoudn't leave the market of secondary OS support. It's good someone out there is supporting those users too.

BUT the pc gaming market, which includes simulator even if someone is going to cry with this association, is dominated by Windows OS and Nvidia GPUs.

The most reliable statistics for such market comes from Steam, which still today is peaking at 20 MILLION active users daily.

What OS are those millions people using games using?

Windows: 95,05%

OSX: 4,04%

Linux: 0,91%

Out of the top 10 most used videocards, 9 out of 10 are Nvidia cards.

I think LR did a great job with XP11, but years passed and i am really eager to hear something about their future plans with something more concrete than "we could improve this, but we have to do this right" or "yeah Austin wanted to do it for a long time but who knows" and so on.

Edited by Pastaiolo
  • Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

13 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Wow that's a huge difference , a surprise that i am seeing the RX 580 on par with a Nvidia 1080Ti in linux. So is the Vega. Then the RX 5xxx series would be higher ? 

like I said

23 hours ago, mSparks said:

I don't actually understand why so many buy a top notch PC just for xplane - and then install windows on it. Its like buying a Ferrari and then fitting a VW golf engine in it and replacing the leather seats with latex.

There's a lot of factors at play, very complex bit of software, the main source of that difference seems to be the windows POS task scheduler, which users tend to hack around with process lasso.

14 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

BTW wanted to know if those Freeware Volumetric clouds are usable , wanted to try them out.

Thanks.

Jump on his discord, he's still experimenting and explaining what he's doing.

https://discord.gg/9byjX4

AutoATC Developer

7 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

Linux: 0,91%

Nope, your stats are wrong.

from a native developer perspective, android is linux. 2.5 BILLION devices in use each day, a very significant proportion of which are way more powerful than the average PC (8 core 3Ghz CPUs with a half decent GPU are the norm now for new devices, USBC allows all the peripherals needed like controllers, keyboards, mice and displays).

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Jump on his discord, he's still experimenting and explaining what he's doing.

https://discord.gg/9byjX4

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Nope, your stats are wrong.

from a native developer perspective, android is linux. 2.5 BILLION devices in use each day, a very significant proportion of which are way more powerful than the average PC (8 core 3Ghz CPUs with a half decent GPU are the norm now for new devices, USBC allows all the peripherals needed like controllers, keyboards, mice and displays).

Can you back-up those claims with stats related to the gaming industry?
Because mine are facts, which you can freely check too.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

2 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

Can you back-up those claims with stats related to the gaming industry?
Because mine are facts, which you can freely check too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.king.candycrushsaga&hl=en

Installs
1,000,000,000+

In-app Products

£0.69 - £149.99 per item

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, mSparks said:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.king.candycrushsaga&hl=en

Installs
1,000,000,000+

In-app Products

£0.69 - £149.99 per item

I am missing the point. I know there are products for mobile devices. What does it have to do with our simulators, which do not run on mobile devices except for dumbed down versions (like the current mobile offering for XP, Infinite Flight and the others?)

1 minute ago, Pastaiolo said:

I am missing the point. I know there are products for mobile devices. What does it have to do with our simulators, which do not run on mobile devices except for dumbed down versions (like the current mobile offering for XP, Infinite Flight and the others?)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.laminarresearch.x_plane10&hl=en

Installs
1,000,000+
Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer